Many thanks for informative post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Many thanks for informative post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

I've been a non-posting member of this forum for going on three years. I've read many posts over this time span. I have gleaned a lot of useful info that has helped me rebuild my 21 touring. This car has been with me since 1951, before me it was low miles but hard ones.

The car has rebuilt front Axle, rebuilt head lights, refurbed radiator, new firewall,rebuilt coils, new gas tank, rebuilt engine and trans, new u-joint + bearing to replace bushing, rebuilt diff new axles and brakes, Finally time to clean body and paint. Winter is closing in so time is right to post on a cold day. In the pix note the accessory front spring that came with car.

pix

pix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

As always welcome to the forum, more pictures keep us posted on progress, after all we all learn from everyone else your front spring is unique do you know who made it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

I was not able to find any markings on the perch. The perches do not have bushings in them so had them reamed and added bushings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Welcome aboard. As you already know most of the members here are eager to help out when ever possible. Looks like you have a good start on getting the ole T back on the road. Nothing much more fun than working on and driving a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

How are those perches fixed to the axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Each perch has a domed bolt with a flat on each side of a domed bolt head holding the wishbone to the axle with the normal perch nut. The curled end has a slot cut in it that fits over angled spindle support on the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Very nice. A great start to nice touring. As others requested, please post pics as you progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Here is some work I'm sure we all have done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

If only I could make repairs like that...

Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

Wow Charles; does your photo bring back memories! My first T was a '27 Tudor. I rigged the restored chassis up like you did with a seat from an old Jeep so I could learn to drive it. I drove all around a friend's "back 40" for several weeks. One time the local cops came over to admonish me---and after watching for a bit they stayed to try it out themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

RV. I've put 55 miles on the car the way it sits. I wanted to break in with less weight. The car is insured and licensed The driving has been done on my neighborhood streets at 20 mph. I learned to drive this car when I was 12. Harder to drive now with bigger feet and no floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I also have a long front spring---well the brackets anyhow--on my doodlebug. I believe there were more than one makers of these from the brackets I have seen looking around.

Here is a previous discussion on them, there are others if you search around.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/317767.html?1353000744

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Chad, thanks for the link. A year ago I went to Langs to buy a few items while I was there I showed Steven Lang a pix of the long spring axle. He said the Sears sold a lot of accessories for Ts and it may have come from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Charles, I just happened to look at your profile, you are right up the road from me. I'm in South Colonie/Albany. Howdy neighbor.

The brackets I have I think are a little different. Whoever built my doodlebug way back when, used those brackets, and shorten the axle itself so a standard spring was used. Interesting pieces for sure. It works great on the doodlebug setup that way.

As I said, I believe these were copied by many manufactures over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Chad, You're right we are close. I live by the high school in Glens falls. The Ad that you put on looks a lot like my perch and spring setup. My spring has 8 leaves and the perches are very similar.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration