A good Model T road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A good Model T road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

But strictly low gear ! ( fun for some, not for all ? )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Nice road - here's my private road -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I would give my left arm to have regular access to both of these roads...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Rich, I'm glad to see you're keeping up the tradition with the car you bought from me. The picture shows it on the 2016 BBC tour.

Tim, if you gave up your left arm, what would you crank with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

In Tennessee, a driver sometimes has to take a high road.

But, sometimes, to get from point A to Point B a driver has to take the "low" road.

Man, they don't get much better than this Tennessee Model T back road that Ricky and Vandy drove about a month ago.

https://youtu.be/dfyLc_-OMzE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

These roads are some of the best ways to enjoy a T Rich, thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James MacNaughton on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

First one looks like a braid of the Oregon or Overland Trail. Very jealous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

It doesn't get any better than that.
Many nice photos.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Close Jim. I can ride Goodale's Cutoff from Springfield Id. to the Big South Butte on trails about seven miles west of the track in the picture, which is skirting the Snake River near Ferry Butte.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Love the off the pavement roads. Where is that? The RMMT club is thinking of another run over in Idaho. We did Cork Screw Pass out of Challis ID last year. That was a steep pull! Low Warford and low band for several miles. This picture is at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Here's my little road in the woods. I enjoyed the luxury of having a camera operator to help on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ffajnp21w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Nice video Steve. Nothing like period correct roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

National Forest roads are hard to beat.
nf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

This is the road we live on in the summer in the Adirondacks. Lots of old logging roads to drive on in the area too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

i would tackle all those roads in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Whenever I see Adirondacks I think of Currier & Ives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James MacNaughton on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 02:54 am:

All such nice photos and vid. Someday I'll have the TT up and running.

=le sigh=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:55 am:

Here is a link to the video coverage my son took of the most awesome drive I have ever done in a Model T. 4 Days touring the East Victorian Mountain High Country. Part of the tour included an 8 mile low gear decent down a single lane dirt track with steep drop off's over the edge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUD1MrExJoc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:40 am:

Val, Have you driven on the logging road from Indian Lake to Inlet, forty five miles one way. It is so remote,you have to sign in and sign out to travel on it. It is a beautiful dirt road, I've driven it with a few of my T's. I took my niece camping with my "26-Grapes of Wrath", and we drove the "road". When signing out a man that was signing in asked me if it ran. I almost said no, we found it in the woods, hooked a rope to it and dragged it out, but I was nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Dan, I have not driven that road but would like to next year. I had a 6 mile walk last year after a blowout while driving my '14 out on a logging road by me. No cell phone coverage, no occupied homes and no sign in procedure. I had a spare and a hand pump but the check valve was not working. So, the question for me is........will a cell phone work along the route?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Dan, does that burlap make your back itch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Val, I'm not sure if a cell will work there. Along with spares, I carry a roll of Gorilla tape. In your case I would tape the tire to the rim so it couldn't come off and slowly drive out. If it was a rear tire I would switch it to the front. I think it would work especially well on a dirt road.
If you need directions to that logging road contact me.
Larry, it doesn't, but the burlap doesn't last long. I pick up old feed bags when I can and have a supply of "new seat covers" when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Dan I do not have demountable wheels on the '14 but I do keep Gorilla tape under the seat. It was a rear wheel and it blew right off the rim. I was able to mount my spare on the rim but could not pump it up with the faulty check valve on my hand pump. I eventually got AAA to come out and pump it up. I would definitely like directions when you have the time and I think I will make the run with my '27 first as I have wire wheels on that one with a mounted spare. I can get to Indian lake well enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I have demountable rims and a spare, but I also carry a CO2 inflator made for motorcycles and six 45 gram cartridges to quickly inflate a tire if necessary. Three 45g cartridges will inflate a clincher tire to 60+ psi. You must wear a glove or wrap the cartridge with a towel when you discharge it, it gets really cold!

Note their size compared to a tire pump. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Mark that is a great idea! I know what I am going to ask Santa to put in my stocking this year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Warwick,
That's a great part of the world up in them thayr hills, eh?
Its just a bit too adventurous and too far from home for my Model T's but I do hope to take the drive from Orbost to Wangaratta in my Triumph Dolomite Sprint someday soon.
I enjoyed your video, you speed hog, you.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Val, I will pm the info on the logging road. Thought you might appreciate this pic. Thats me on the left fixing a flat on my 14 at Chimney Mt. Adirondacks. The year was 1982{where does the time go} At the time I was one of the youngest T guys. I got a lot of my Ford V8 friends into T's also.
About 10 years ago I put a starter, demountables and a Ruckstell in it as it's my main driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 08:40 am:

We have found some great roads in Idaho. Here is a fun one in Colorado:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Val, where is your place in the Adirondacks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 09:01 am:

A few days ago while traveling between conventions, I saw this picture and thought it was an idyllic Model T Road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Tim, my place is in Putnam Station which is in Washington County but you have to get there from Ticonderoga as there is no road to our place from Washington County. We are there 5 months a year and spend the rest of the year in Jupiter Florida. That way I get to drive my T's all year long,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 09:19 am:

I envy you sir! I have been trying to buy a place in the central region for years but as of yet I have not been able to find something to fit my budget.

Also;

Dan K- I sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Tim, I bought it 40 years ago and could not even think about buying something up there today. Nearby places are going for 80 times what I paid for my place. Unfortunately, the taxes are killing me and I don't know how much longer I can keep it now that I am retired and finally have the time to enjoy it. In New York State you don't really own your property, you just rent it from the government!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:08 am:

One of my customers bought a vacant lot on White Lake in 1969 for $200.00 and it was appraised last year at $550,000!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Val, that's true no matter where you live. : (

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:25 am:

One of the roads from a Berks County, PA tour a few years ago. That's about my limit. I draw the line at water -- I like being able to see what's underneath!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

gw
de
George Washington NF on my way home from Hershey.
At the second picture I had to back track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Dean, kinda looks like the road was closed intentionally. Heck, I'll bet you could have made it past those rocks !

Most of the unpaved roads shown would have been considered "improved gravel" and pretty smooth sailing back "in the day", and as kep noted, "high gear" roads.

As for water crossings, the one in Gil's picture looks pretty shallow, and maybe you could see the bottom ? The muddy bog Dean posted earlier ? Well, I might want tort someone else go first !! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

The ford (small "f") in my picture is paved. Fishing Creek road climbs next to the creek for a couple of miles, and crosses the creek three times on these paved fords. The fords are in excellent condition, the road itself is --- not. Here's a picture of my/Rich's car fording the creek at more speed than I dared use on the muddy dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

To all, fabulous pics! Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Val, if you are near Ticonderoga there is another road you might like. The day after we did the logging road, we drove the "grapes of wrath" to Vermont going through Ticonderoga. We went back roads as much as possible including Johnson Pond Rd to Irontown. Some of it is not much more than a path. We were first in line waiting for the ferry at Ticonderoga to cross Lake Champlain. The guy in the next car up asked the same question, "does it run?" I will send you this info when I send the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:23 am:

A typical country road in Wisconsin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Dan that would be great. I have probably driven most of those roads in segments but just in case I would appreciate the info as there may very well be segments I have missed. I often take the ferry to Vermont and cruise the back roads there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bourne on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Here is a great Model T road (Douglas Lake) in central British Columbia, from Vic & Brenda, north of the border.Douglas Lake

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration