Craigslist Scam Alert!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Craigslist Scam Alert!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:07 am:

I recently inquired about this 1918 Touring listed on Craigslist Las Vegas. Asking price was $6,000. I contacted the seller (email only. No name of phone). I indicated I wanted to come to Las Vegas to view the car and would pay cash. I received the following response from "Olivia Taylor".

Hi,

I'm selling it at this price of $6,000 because my husband died 2 months ago and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. No damage or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it. Me and my son decided to sell the house and we moved to my parents house in Twin Falls, ID trying to start a new life.

I want to use eBay Motors services (5 days of testing prior purchase) for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing, please provide me your full name for the bill of sale, your delivery address and a phone number so I can notify eBay that you're selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I look forward to hear from you. Thanks!

P.S. I have attached the pics to the email, the specs are below:

Transmission : Manual
Engine : 4 cyl
Exterior Color : Black
Interior Color : Black
Fuel Type : Gasoline
Drive Type : RWD
Title : Clear

This car is crank start only and starts easily on the second crank. The paint is not perfect but mechanically this car is excellent. It has a LOUD Ahooga horn, a plunger style mechanical Ahooga horn and a siren. It also has an exhaust whistle, glass and interior is excellent, doors open and close well. It has amole storage under rear seat. Car comes with a custom car cover and many extra parts and books.

Upon further investigation, I determined this vehicle has been listed on Craigslist throughout the country and several of the adds have already been blocked. The actual whereabouts of the vehicle is unknown. Me thinks it is a scam. Buyer beware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:22 am:

Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:00 am:

Mark, You’re right. I checked the AnnArbor Michigan Craigslist and it’s there too. Same car, different pose, green blotch on license plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Yes. It is listed in on Craigslist in several states across the nation. I sent responded to the seller's email indicating I wanted to view the car in person. I've received no response. Although the add states Las Vegas, the picture listed in the ad appears to be a much cooler climate. Somewhere back east maybe? Just wanted to put it out there to make others aware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:41 am:

I seen it on Eastern Kentucky and WV Craigslist also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:43 am:

If you do a search "Craigslist 1918 Model T Ford" you can see all the listings nationwide for the same vehicle. All have been posted within the last six days. Sounds fishy to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:53 am:

Always Buyer Beware!!If it sounds to good to be true, more than likely it is.
I inquired on Syracuse Craigslist about a 2012 Haulmark Car Hauler. Almost the exact same wording. I did report them and the Car Hauler did get deleted by Craigslist.

This was the response I received:
Hi again , Thank you very much for getting back to me but I would
like to clarify some things first. I am selling the trailer at this price
because my husband passed away not long ago (he was very sick) and
this trailer brings me bad memories and that's the reason why I want to
sell it asap. Another reason for selling it is because I work in
military and right now I'm on a military base. We are training and
getting ready to leave the country. The trailer is already at the shipping
company ready for delivery because someone agreed to buy it, but in
the end he never got the loan. For this reason, the shipping is
already paid for. I will use e Bay in this transaction for our
protection. If you are not aware of this program, you should know that
it will allow you to test and inspect the trailer before paying me. The
inspection period will be set to 7 days and I think that is enough
time for you to make a decision about the trailer. If you won`t like
my trailer you notify e Bay and you send it back at my expense. But I
assure you that won't be the case.
If you want to continue the purchase,
please reply with your full name, delivery address and phone
number so I can start the transaction with e bay and ask them to send
you the terms of this transaction. ( with no further obligation or
fees).Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:14 am:

Dan,

Sounds like the same author.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:42 am:

As I have mentioned previously in other posts - I like Craigslist.

When used as intended by buyers and sellers it is a good way to do business.

Scams are successful when avarice come into play.

You can’t have a Con without a Mark ( no pun intended ).

If you expect to get something for nothing ( or really cheap ) then chances are you are going to get nothing for something.

Exercise Common Sense .......

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:55 am:

I've purchased a lot of stuff off of Craigslist and have never been burned. I will only conduct in person transactions and nothing else. That usually weeds out the bad apples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:01 am:

Same ad on Craigslist Maine. I answered and got the same response. I googled the "sellers" name and found other previous scams for different items using the exact language. I emailed back and told "her" I felt sorry for her because her husband had just died so many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Mark,

Looks like you went to bed late & got up early ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:08 am:

My '41 Ford was a Craigslist cash in hand purchase. The great thing about it was my Credit Union. I asked them for cash, large bills and they started asking questions. I told them I was driving to New Jersey to pick up a car and they went nuts and repeated everything I already heard about Craigslist scams.

Prior to driving over, I rented a trailer in Philadelphia, talked to the seller over the phone, cross checked his address and club affiliation on line, and then had a successful purchase. On the way home, my son and I stopped at Hershey to visit the museum and buy Golden Almond bars in order to be allowed back in the house.

The seller was equally cautious and we did the transaction on the front seat of his car. My town encourages buyers and sellers to do similar transactions in the parking lot of our police station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Tom Miller,That ad is on Denver craigslist now same Sheriff lingo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Jim,

That's how I roll! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:35 am:

I spent most of the evening looking up all the same Craigslist adds I could find across the country for this listing and hit the "prohibited" button. Hopefully it will prevent one of our own from getting burned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Wow! Went from Salt Lake City to Denver within a matter on minutes. That's one fast Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:55 am:

It's listed in Atlanta right now. same photo.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/1918-ford-model/6383827421.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 07:59 am:

My nephew writes code - he has talked to me about algorithms and computer programming in detail - much of which is over my head ....:

Multiple online fraud listings are created by computer programs and programmers writing code for pennies in foreign countries on a massive scale - same way websites are crashed - it is an unfathomable large scale operation with a minuscule profit margin.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Here's Provo,

I hit the prohibited button. Hope it does some good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:40 am:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/365378-1918-ford-model-t-a-touring-car-ele gant-classic-video-daily-driver.html

Appears to be the original ad with a viewable plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I have seen the exact ad word for word only they were for model A coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:52 am:

And there's the video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HokvnF5VWLI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:02 am:

That car (for real) is now in Northern Wisconsin and belongs to Bob Lavoie. He bought it in June this year.

Scammers have just copied the pictures and description from the old ad and started reposting it all over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:10 am:

How come I have NEVER heard about these scammers being caught and prosecuted? Does it ever happen, or do we only wink at such non-violent grimy blue collar crimes, as we do all other transgressions against us that seem somehow permissible these days? In my grandfather's day, these slimebags would have been found in the morning swinging from a tree outside of town - and I DON'T mean "swinging" from branch to branch with Tarzan!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Because the majority of these are offshore operations.

This is largely international fraud - there are operatives to receive wire transfers in the states - but the majority of these scams are large scale offshore operations.

That is why you should NEVER reply to one of these ads - you are replying to a computer - your information is harvested & utilized.

Craigslist has filters & fraud detection software that is of higher quality than eBay - yet the massive volume of ads place allow for some to get thru.

This isn’t some guy in a basement in Mississippi doing this.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I feel kind of left out on this T. Here in Minnesota it's not available and I want to buy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Hoaglin on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I followed through on some deeper research on this particular car. It has been around a long time surfacing on Craigslist and several listing on line sites that sell cars. The scammers are based in Germany and I have had several listings closed down that I reported to the authorities. Very bad. Especially for people not knowing what they are getting into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I responded by telling Olivia I would pay cash in person only after I had an opportunity to inspect the vehicle and received the following response:

Olivia Taylor (olivia@xfinitywebmail.com)
To:you Details

Right now, I'm not home because I'm a special needs nurse and can’t take off but I can arrange delivery to your address. I’d like it if we could use eBay because someone stood me up last week - he made me drive there but he didn't show up. They’ll hold the money so you have the chance to inspect it for 5 days. Only after you’ve had the chance to do all that you will call eBay and let them release the money. You’re not committed to buy it and if you request a refund, eBay will provide it within 24h.

If that sounds good to you, then all I need to get started with, is your name, delivery address and phone number.

My response to her (or whoever) was that Craigslist had been notified and that the listings would be investigated. I told her I hoped she got what was coming to her. I received no response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Antiscammers.org stated the following regarding "Olivia":

We have found that :
Name: Olivia Taylor 
Email: olivia@xfinitywebmail.com
Phone nr: 
Product: 1937 Packard 115C Sedan
Payment Method: This scammer is using the “escrow company” method. He is sending a fake eBay invoice in order for you to buy eBay Gift Cards
It’s a Scam! Don’t trust this seller!

This is just one of several instances this individuals email olivia@xfinitywebmail.com was used to commit attempted fraud.

Be careful out there. Don't allow yourself to become a victim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Dean,
I found this T on my craigslist check for Madison, Wis. if that helps you locate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Wow, this is a very interesting thread, I've enjoyed reading it. Thanks to all sharing and doing the investigative work, hopefully this saves someone their hard earned cash.

Thanks everyone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I told them I’d take it and bring my trailer to pick it up...
Even bring full cash offer .....!!
‘’And So ,we wait for a response”......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Mark,

Back in early July, my wife's 2008 Ford Taurus X wagon took a royal (insert favorite expletive here).

I wasn't expecting this event so, I started looking through Craigslist Los Angeles Cars and Trucks for a used Buick Enclave. I found one with low mileage, fully equipped, and a ridiculously low price. One photo on the ad and an obscured license plate. Car was listed in, as I recall, Ventura.

I bit. There was a phone number listed, so I called. Voicemail. Left a message including my email address. What I got was a reply with a story ALMOST EXACTLY like the one you have posted. When I asked to see the car, I was told that wouldn't be possible because she had moved back to her home town to "Start her life over".

She then explained the the sale would be handled through eBay Motors and that I was totally safe. The car would be delivered to me after I paid the money to eBay and if I didn't like the car, I could return it and receive 100 per cent of my money back.

I then got an email from eBay with the information on how to send the money. At that point I called "BS". I checked the net on scams like this, and found pages of them.

I reported it to eBay and Craigslist. Then I started looking through Craigslist for similar ads. They were on every brand of late model car on there. It's rampant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Kohr on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Same SCAM on PA Craigslist, I inquired and my reply had photo attached, 24 pictures of a really nice '30 Model A Tudor.. Lessons are learned in our hobby everyday, some related to our vehicles, and some related (sadly) to our society today.! kb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

I found similar ads for the 1918 on Atlanta, Shreveport and Huntington CL, also found similar ads for a nice looking Olive Green 31 A Model, with Rumble seat for $6500. on Dallas, CL and a 1930 model A Tudor for $6000 also in Dallas, I guess they are trying to scam a little "Christmas Cash".
When You see ads like that just hit prohibited key, that's what CL recommends when in doubt just ZAP it. if its legit they can reword ad and resubmit ad with information on verification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I got Olivia Taylor for this Chicago, Craigslist ad as well- so apparently they are trolling for suckers. Beware!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Green Model A coupe for sale by Olivia Taylor on Craigslist Battle Creek Michigan this past weekend as well.

Almost as bad as the collectors for back taxes that keep threatening to take me to jail. I talked to that guy for about ten minutes and at one point asked for his name. He game me one and at the end of the call I asked again and he gave me a different one

Be careful out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

It might have already been mentioned, but they lifted the ad from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-Ford-Model-T-/112587021371?nma=true&si=IUR%252BUG8 a1Jtf9G7RWJHWpI0ncoo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

All I did was Google a unique portion of the text and the eBay listing came up at the top of the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Another Olivia Taylor bogeys post.

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe - $8500 hide this posting
1930 Ford Model A Deluxe
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
Since purchased new, this one-family-owned car has 23,275 extremely-pampered, original miles. The car has always been garage-kept and well taken care of.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6383878563 posted: 4 days ago updated: a day ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]
safety tips
prohibited items
product recalls
avoiding scams
Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Reverse Trolling, I found CL ads all over the place for the 1918, If You want to do your own Trolling for these crooks, just put top search amount of about $8000, and search Model Ts or As,or search year range.search all major Cities they stand out like red flags on green grass, and then just hit prohibited flag and ZAP the Crooks. Retired Cop its in the blood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

P.S. one other observation on T scamers, most show only one photo, and no contact info except CL link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Hi, Our local CL is full of this scam. Minn-St.Paul MN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Found another one in Las Vegas. I must have zapped a dozen of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Another Possible SCAM ? almost exact wording as 1918 that started this post. that was posted from coast to coast. This car is a Bright yellow modified 1927 Model T Hot Rod and is also posted all over as well, The name has changed, and the location moved from West Coast to East Coast, but the story is the same, Husband died, car brings bad memories. need to sell ASAP

1927 Ford
title status: clean

CONDITION
Excellent
FUEL
Gasoline
EXHAUST
Dual Exhaust
TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION
3 Speed Automatic
ORIGINALITY
Replaced Transmission - Upgraded

From: Gloria Webster / Olivia Taylor ? <websterhome@xfinitynethome.com>

I'm selling it at this price of $10,700 because my husband died 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it a.s.a.p. No damage or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained... I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it, under my name. Me and my son decided to sell the house and we moved to my parents house in Westport, PA trying to start a new life. We need to meet up to my parents place or I can arrange delivery - it will cost the gas money.

I want to use eBay Motors services (5 days of testing prior purchase) for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing, please provide me your full name for the bill of sale, your full address and a phone number so I can notify eBay that you're selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 07:57 am:

The exact same ad as Tom Miller's first photo posting, showed up on the Denver, CO CL on Sunday 11/19/'17. Exact same wording and photo.

Prohibited button utilized.

Thanks for the education on these guys.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Sadly, CL scams on legit sellers are common too. I listed some truck accessories for sale and within 1 minute of posting, received requests to hold parts for payment by check, their 'agent' would be contacting me to arrange shipping if I agreed to sell to them. One offered a bonus of $200 on my $300 item. It appears CL postings with words car, auto, pickup, etc are heavily targeted. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

It’s still being listed and summarily deleted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Glad I read this entire post.......the same 1918 touring is being advertised in the Sacramento, California Craigslist. It amazed me that no one snatched it up. I've been watching it for several days, thinking seriously about floating a loan!

Knew it was too good to be true........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

I just zinged that 1918 touring on Syracuse NY Craigslist. Also zinged a red 1915 Ford touring for $9000, clearly a scam !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Honore Jason Pelafigue on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

The exact same thing happened to me. With the same wording, in a Louisiana Craigslist. But it was for a Kubota tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Apparently, this scam is hugely successful in making profit as it has been going on for over 3 years and continues so wide spread.

http://fox2now.com/2014/05/29/new-car-selling-scam-popping-up-on-craigslist/

Very frustrating it continues so pervasive without fear of prosecution.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration