OT - old photo, not a Ford in sight !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - old photo, not a Ford in sight !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

This is the interior of Dad Clay's Garage, Idaho Falls, Idaho. Supposedly, that's Dad Clay himself in the suit coat. I hope you fellers who are up on the early cars can make some identifications, and perhaps narrow down the date of the picture. The garage was in operation into the early 60's - a kind mechanic in there fixed the pedal on my bike one day in 1961.

There's nothing left now but a memory, thanks to "urban renewal" .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

It appears to be a 1911 White Model GA.
White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

The hood and radiator suggests the car in the foreground to be a White Steamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Don A: I disagree. The steam powered Whites had a much higher front seat and hood. I feel it is the gasoline powered model GA White. They were introduced in 1909. The one pictured belongs to my family & is a 1911 model. It was the first gasoline powered White.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

As a child we would walk past Dad Clay's Garage on our way down town. It was a dealership by then. The corner was a paved triangle with gas pumps and a building with old roll-up doors with lots of little windows.

"Clay built his garage in 1910 and briefly sold Buicks and Fords before other businessmen acquired exclusive dealership rights."..."People who had a little money would park their cars there because they could walk everywhere,"

JUNE 23, 2014 under ground parking same property. "A hole was made when the asphalt in the Bank of Commerce parking lot collapsed under a CCI crane May 6"

http://www.bizmojoidaho.com/2014/06/underground-parking-garage-remains.html

"Tourists knew about Dad Clay. Clay built a small auto shop in 1909. In 1910 he built a larger garage at Cottage (now N. Yellowstone) and A Street. In 1914 he published Idaho's first road log describing 5500 miles of road. He also set up hundreds of small orange signs with black letters on major and minor roads at regular intervals, telling how many "Miles to Dad Clay's Garage, Idaho Falls."

http://www.bonnevilleheritage.com/MJFCODPg.php?pag=chap16

Another fond memory brought to life. Thanks Rich.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Great sources on additional information Rich ! Thank you. I guess they forgot all about the basement parking - you can see the headstock of the elevator in the photo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration