Frame lowering parts wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frame lowering parts wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Looking for some viable options for safely lowering the frame of a Ames bodied Frontenac speedster I am building. Does anyone have advice, opinion, and axles or parts for doing this? Appreciate input. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I opted for a Zed frame and dropped rear spring. On the front I intend to do new mounts replacing the perches and using rear spring perches to mount the front spring in the plate. Unfortunatly this does not allow for a crank (due to my massive drop) without a dip in the front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Try the Ford Barn or the H.A.M.B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 01:40 am:

-FYI-
At the risk of offending the purists, fitting a 'Model A' front crossmember will contribute 2" of a lower attitude...
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Mike, you might take a look at the NW Vintage Speedsters website. Under "Technical", you should find a page "Tim Knapp-Lowering" that has an extensive set of photos on original period lowering equipment and techniques. I assembled the info from a variety of period publications for a Shop Talk we did almost 20 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Mike- Oops, you may have to go to "Front ends and steering" under Technical, to find the link. / Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Hard to know where to begin. There must be at least a dozen good ways to lower the front of a T. And at least as many good ways to lower the back. What is best depends a lot on the specific demands of the body for the back.
A style I have always liked for the front is these:

Strong, stable, and handles well. Something that was done back in the day, and is easy to duplicate now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:33 am:

This is what I use for the front works well.Pic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Tom i need on of those

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I only have 2 left. I moved and don't have my connection any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Yes, one of those would be just the ticket for me. - Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration