Surprise! Easy starting again.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Surprise! Easy starting again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

As we all know, 90% of fuel problems are electrical. As my runabout became a hard starter in recent weeks I dismantled two different carburetors and went through them looking for something to fix, and found nothing. With either one on the car, a cold start took several pulls of the crank to get going.

I'm currently reassembling my touring car, and as it needs plug wires I decided to use the black/red-tracer wires off the runabout because those are allegedly correct for 1923.

So I bought a set of terminals, and this morning I made a new set of wires for the runabout. After installing them I choked twice and flipped the switch to BAT. Free start. I tried it again, several times. Each time I got a start on the first pull or a free start. Apparently I've solved my fuel problem.

As for those wires I was going to use on the touring, you can probably guess what I'm going to do instead.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Good for you! Nothing like solving a problem- even if by accident...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

They look like modern plug wires. Is that how you made them ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Those "original" type braided wires are junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

George, the Model T terminals came from Chaffin's. The wires came off this roll I bought over thirty years ago. I have no recollection where I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

What kind of core ??? Solid copper, stranded,graphite ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Stranded copper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

So now you'll be making sets for us folks?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration