Accessory of the day Yale Oiling System

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Accessory of the day Yale Oiling System
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

In the process of getting my car together I miss placed the magneto post. I had to rob one off of engine that I wasn’t using. Here’s what I found.

Has anyone seen one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

That's the first one I have ever seen. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Be careful with it. That die cast middle part may be pot metal, and very weak from age. Hidden neatly away under the floorboards it could break apart from the heat and pressure from the oil and dump most your engine oil on the ground in about ten miles or less. If aluminum, or good zinc cast, those are great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Jay, I am speechless that you have never seen one of these! Perhaps the Yale water circulation system was more popular.

Wayne, I will take you advice and find a better way to plug the hole;)

I am wondering if this is the earliest outside oiling system using the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Matt, the one you have is unlikely to be the earliest mag post oiler since the screw-in type was a 26-27 thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

This is the APCO version and another unknown name '26-'27 screw in post types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Yes, if that fits your hogshead, the hogshead is a '26/'27 version. Been awhile since I had one, so don't take what I say now for gospel. However I "think" the '26/'27 version mag plug is the same thread as the spark plugs. I know they are a standard pipe thread of some size. So, if all you need to do is plug the hole, a standard pipe plug should do fine. A long time ago, one of my cars had an after-market magneto for ignition, and no magneto on the flywheel. It was a '26 engine in an earlier car. So I used standard pipe fittings (brass) and used the magneto hole as a simple oiler only. It worked very well.

It should be either 1/2 or 3/4 standard pipe thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Wayne, thanks for the advice. I will find something to plug it for now.

Dan, thanks for showing your oiler. I think brass is much better than aluminum.

Tim, the patent dates on the Yale Oiler 1918 and 1925. I wonder what the patent dates are on the others.

Matthew

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration