Triple gear wear and idling noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Triple gear wear and idling noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:29 am:

It seems I am replacing the low speed drum (again), but that's another story.
Since I have had this 26, when at an idle there is quite a bit of noise from the transmission while idling in neutral .... I know it's hard to describe a "noise" kind of a rushing sound, that increases with engine speed.

I understand that replacing the triple gears with new units will quiet things down? While I have things apart this would be the time to install new ones.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Dave, you can check the triple gears with the trans cover off. A little back and forth movement is normal, if they rock on the pins then the bushings are probably shot. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglVMweyqz4&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Just to be certain, this isn't the sound of your carb sucking in air? Mine had a noticeable whoosh until I put on the heat pipe and floorboards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Tim,..no this is not an engine noise, definitely coming from the transmission.
I have the engine / transmission out of the car and disassembled

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Replacing the triple gears, pins or bushings may or may not have any effect. All the gears in the transmission have worn together and the introduction of a new gear or set is a coin flip towards the results.

Some transmission make more noise than others and are in good working order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Old transmisssions are usually quiet. It's when they are rebushed, or drum assemblies changed out and replaced that they can scream pretty good. Even these screaming transmissions will likely quiet down after they have run another 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

100 years. Now I have something to look forward to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Some have never noticed the cuts of the gears from early trans gears to later one. If you do miss match they tend to make a little more noise. Just for the heck of it pull some gears out from the early riveted triple gears to the later one piece ones and look at the different profile on the top of the gear? Just my thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 12:36 am:

For whatever it is worth. The nicest, smoothest running and most quiet model T transmission I ever had turned out to be the worst most worn out pile of a couple usable parts I ever had. When I pulled the engine from the car to replace the worn out tired engine, and lifted it up end-wise, not one, but two of the triple gear pins fell out through the drums dropping the gears out onto the concrete. Flywheel was no good. Two drums badly cracked, triple gears shot, output driven plate rivets loose. But doggone that thing had run nice and quiet.
Another one I had was all good pieces, but other than clutch discs, no two pieces had come from the same transmission. It was a throw-together hope for the best. It was probably the second best running and most quiet transmission I ever had. I have known many people to meticulously check, measure, weigh, and fit the best parts they could find into what should have been a perfect transmission. Wound up sounding like a dump truck delivering a load of coal. You just never know. And usually, they will get quieter with use. Or blow apart after the triple gear bushings seize.
Welcome to the world of model Ts! I love them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration