OT worried about family in New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT worried about family in New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:36 am:

My wife's sister and her husband were traveling in New Zealand. He has had a medical emergency and they are in invercargill needing to get to aukland to catch a flight to the US. Is there a service they can call that will take them to Queensland? They think they can fly from Queensland to aukland and then to the US. Any help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I would suggest calling the American Ambassador office in NZ. There should be one and that would be part of their job, helping American citizens in an emergency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Doug, your posting starts out like many phishing posts that are something like, "my son is stuck without any money in Timbuktu, and needs $1500 to get out of jail and out of the country." However, then all you ask for is "any ideas?" and you've been around here a while, so it's probably legitimate. Mark's suggestion is the direction I'd go in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

David, you're right. I have been through Braidwood (up the road a piece from me) and I didn't see any Nigerians there. Doug's profile says he's at 3,066 posts here so hardly a newbie. I don't know anything about New Zealand but at least I have bumped Doug's question back up to the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Doug - if this is genuine...

Queensland is a state of Australia - you probably mean Queenstown, which is a town not far from Invercargill, with a good airport and regular air services. (Invercargill only has limited air services.) Dunedin, with more air services than Queenstown, is even closer to Invercargill.

Flights from either Queenstown or Dunedin to Auckland are regular. Services to the US only depart from Auckland.

My advice is for them to call the airline they've bought their tickets through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

If he has had a major medical emergency should he not seek medical care there in New Zealand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Doug has posted here many, many times. I hope you get the help needed. Please keep us up to date on the progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Thanks. It is Queenstown. He is at the hospital in Invercargill . He is hoping to be released from the hospital there by Monday. I never thought of this sounding like a scam. I'm not looking for anything but information. Been around here since 2006. I know we have people in country and I was looking for advice. They were with a group trip but are left behind now. Thanks for the info I got. Sorry to disturb some of the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Doug - he most probably has travel insurance, and many insurers offer a free advisory service. (I am a former travel agent.) I recommend you ask him about this.

John Stokes
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Thanks. It is Queenstown. He is at the hospital in Invercargill . He is hoping to be released from the hospital there by Monday. I never thought of this sounding like a scam. I'm not looking for anything but information. Been around here since 2006. I know we have people in country and I was looking for advice. They were with a group trip but are left behind now. Thanks for the info I got. Sorry to disturb some of the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Sorry for the double post. I'll be check into that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Doug, I hope you folks get it sorted easily. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Hope everything works out.

Someday, the scammers will get so good that it will be impossible to tell the difference between legitimate correspondence and scams. At that point, nobody will believe anything and society will grind to a halt. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 02:13 am:

Doug, I wasn't trying to be critical, just letting you know that you *might* have a problem getting answers, yes, you've been around here long enough that we know you are a real person. Glad you got some good suggestions of where you might get them some help. Let us know how it goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:06 am:

Hi Doug

I think quueenstown would be the best option for them to get back to Auckland, there are more regular and usually cheaper flights from there to Auckland and it is a slightly shorter drive time compared to Dunedin aswell.
I am not sure about schedules but there would be busses that travel invercargill - Queenstown fairly regularly too if they were needing to find their way there. There is an information centre near the main roundabout (near the motorcycle museum) in Invercargill that would be able to assist them.
Hopefully everything works out for them.

Regards
Glen Mcconachie
Dunedin
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Thank You for the information. He is being released from the hospital and is able to fly. They are leaving today and hope to arrive tomorrow our time here in the states. He is doing better but will see his doctor here when they get home. One of the situations there was we are used to hospitals fully staffed 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They had to wait for Echocardiogram equipment and personnel to run the tests needed. They transported him to two different hospitals trying to find someone able to run the tests. All of the tests have come back ok so far. Thanks again for your help. We are not used to having family get ill in a foreign country. It helps having people who are from the area or knowledgeable about these things. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Doug M, Wishing you and yours the best given the situation.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration