Brake rod supports

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake rod supports
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

***WARNING, POSSIBLE DUMB QUESTION*** Do brake rod supports wear thin after 100 years of use? My '21 Touring has none and I have seen used ones advertised for sale. The ones I have seen look very thin in one spot. Do I really need them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

If they are attached along the radius rods in the wrong place and cause the rods to bend and drag, yes they will wear. If they are installed such that the rods have a straight shot from the brake actuator to the rear wheels, the wear will be almost "zero".

To keep the rods from dangling and flopping, I'd say they are needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Yes, they're needed. My 1915 runabout's banging over bumps turned out to be a broken one. I replaced it with the later style, which is "incorrect" but less likely to break.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration