Small drum Rocky Mountain brakes...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Small drum Rocky Mountain brakes...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Anybody using them? What do you think?

Anybody have photos of the set up especaily the equalizer set up?

Are they hand brake only operated or?

thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Mark : I have a set of old original Lockwood outside brakes on my '25 coupe and would not drive the car without them. They more than double the braking capability and make the car seem almost like a normal car to drive although you can't forget that the braking is only on two wheels and the footprint of the tires is tiny. I built a cross-shaft from 1" square tubing actually intended to tie the two front running board supports together, and added another round shaft to it with old emergency brake arms attached. I fabricated a steel loop to go around the base of the brake pedal and connected it to the round cross-shaft. I have several choices of travel distances and leverage advantages so I can adjust to suit. I actually backed off the transmission brake band so that the outside brakes activate first and if you push hard enough the trans brake will help. I would post pictures but can't get them small enough to post on this site. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

There is a set now on ebay. The auction ends early Tuesday morning.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Rocky-Mountain-Brakes-Small-Drum/162753322 398?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

(Message edited by coupelet on November 19, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

What is in a name? Ask Kleenex or Caterpillar.
I know. The war has been lost.
Me. Still beating dead horses.

My apologies to any that need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Mike and others, the set on ebay does not look like it uses an equalizer bar. How does it work? Does it look as if all of the parts are there?

thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

I have often wondered who the seller "modeltdoctor" is. With a name like that you would think he would know more about T parts, from some of his listings you got to wonder.

The current Rocky Mtn brakes work good going forward but not so good in reverse. There are ways to hook them up to use the brake pedal. While you might have to install axle shims, these were meant to be duel brakes, the RM drum for stopping using the larger supplied drum and the T drum for parking.

I not going to be kind in this next statement; I think it's asinine to install the RM's and only have them hooked to the parking brake handle.(I am not directing this statement at you MarkL) And yes I know there were more then the one case I fixed.

Google "mtfca; rocky mountain brakes", there will be more then enough info to keep you reading for a while.

Mark re you other question; there is a rod that goes to the cross bar (which is mounted to the frame) and connected to the brake pedal. The problem I see is you have to set both sides to pull the same. That means the rods and the shoes have to be close in application or one side will grab more then the other. That being said, this style with the rear anchor should give braking in both forward and reverse. You would still have your original parking brakes too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 07:51 am:

"modeltdoctor" is a fellow who lives in Ocean Springs, MS. He and his wife are members of our Arkansas Tin Lizzies club and are good folks. He builds wooden bodies for T's and sells plans on eBay which you can use to build your own. He also works on T's for other folks.

The RM brakes which he now has listed on eBay are not "current ones", they are old ones which DO work as well in reverse as they do when moving forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:14 am:

There is no such thing as a small drum Rocky Mountain Brake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:49 am:

While the brakes shown in the ebay listing are for small drum rear end, they are not Rocky Mtn brakes. Rocky Mtn is a brand not a type.
There were Rocky Mtn brakes the were made to be fitted to the small drum pre 1926 type rear end which is know as a small drum rear end. But these are not them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I'm really please with AC brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Yeah Larry Smith! Absolutely correct!

Mario B, I like the AC small drum brakes also. I like them better than what passes for Rocky Mountain Brakes today. The original "real" Rocky Mountain Brakes were also very nice.

I also do not prefer to use a brake equalizer, Two wheel brakes are easy to adjust to operate fairly even, and generally work reliably. Equalizers leave you with a failure mode which causes loss of braking on both wheels. Seen it happen a few times. Don't like it.
The service brake and the emergency/parking brake should also be wholly independent of each other (except for the wheels themselves, if a wheel falls off you gonna stop anyway).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:10 am:

I don't understand why the guys making outside brakes use rods. Both Rocky Mountain and AC both originally used a cable which is so much simpler. My guess is they either just don't care, or have failed to do the research or both!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Larry,

Originality aside, cables inherently have a bit of stretch in them, while rods do not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Yes cables do, but you can adjust the stretch out of them as they do so. Depending on what kind of metal they are made of, 3/16-1/4 for that short run aren't going to stretch a whole lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

What people often mistake for stretch in cable brakes is actually slack from a poorly designed set-up. You will bend or break something else before you will ever stretch a brake cable in a way that you can measure at the pedal. On 1930's cars that have cables enclosed in a housing, much like a parking brake housing, that is a very good set-up as it keeps the cable taut from Point A to Point B such that you don't have to pull out slack before actuation. With set-ups where you have a loose cable asked to turn a radius, such as around a redirecting or equalizer pulley, or one with a lot of droop, you have it tugging on the brakes when it's really not doing anything, so the answer is to back off more, then you're just having to take out a lot of excess slack for no good reason other than the design is sloppy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

If you look at McMaster Carr's catalog, you will find several grades of 3/16" cable. With the use we give to them, I doubt if we need to worry about stretch! I was lucky to find a mint brake cable for the Rockies on my '13 roadster a few years back. All I had to do was paint the ends. I'm sure the cable McMaster Carr is supplying today is light years ahead of that period of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I would like to get a set of some kind of brakes for my T and was wanting to make a good decision on the purchase. Like those A/C brakes.

Are there any other braking setups being produced besides the units you can buy from people like Langs? ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:52 am:

The ad for AC brakes posted above has the contact info for them. Google mtfca; AC brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Thank you Mark, I will make contact with Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I tried to contact Larry months ago and was told by his wife ( I think ) that he was recovering from a serious medical problem. He has not gotten back to me. Anybody know his current status? Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I have a set of Larry’s AC brakes and they are great.

I hope Larry gets well soon!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration