Had a couple visitors yesterday ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Had a couple visitors yesterday ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

We have been on the "Pickers" list for awhile now, thanks to my daughter thinking Dad needs to downsize a little bit .. :-) :-) (I agree with her, but Ill never admit to that") So yesterday the "lead crew" showed up for the "interview" and a look around. The main purpose of the "interview" is to make sure I am a living and breathing person that actually has some items I would sell and I am the legal owner of said items. It seems that they have been burnt a few times by people claiming to have stuff and sending pictures of other peoples stuff. But when the Pickers show up at the address given, there is no such place. They come out and look around and take pictures, they ask questions about how I started collecting, how old was I when I started, what do I like, ect, ect. They asked would I be willing to sell a few things and what is the one single item they saw today that I do not want to sell. They only wanted to know the one item I wanted to keep the most. The pictures and interview will go to the producers. The producers are the one who decide on the picks. Robbie told me that Mike and Frank never see the pictures or the interview. That also applies to the pick's that Robbie and Danielle go on. He said that way they arrive at the property not knowing what is there or meeting with the owners. He said that way it is as real as possible. No discussion of prices were done the day Robbie and the photographer were here. They are going to do aprox 8 picks in Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma. They have about 40 leads they were checking out, so we will be chosen from those leads, if they chose to come to our place. We will know by aprox the first week of December if we are chosen. They will set up a date at that time. We will be able to say we were chosen or not. But we can not give out any details of the actual pick day till after the pick has happened. They have a real problem with "tourist's" wanting to join in. I do not know what our odds are of them coming back, but it was fun visiting with Robbie and the camera man for a few hours ... They were both very nice and polite, and down to earth. .....

Me, Robbie, and my wife Kathy .... (I think she had as much fun as I did :-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Glad you had a good time, and that's a great picture! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Fun! Good luck! Enjoy however it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

The price of admission to be on that show is to sell your assets at less than the value for everyone to see your loss and their gain. That is not the spotlight I would want to be in for the world to watch and wonder why.

Have fun, if you want to sell parts at 1/2 or 1/3 value list it here and we can post a photo--not as good as being on TV for the world to see,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Let us know when the show is scheduled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I think all of us hope and wish for the best but you can always run them offt. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Hi Donnie,

Great first person account of how things go on the show.

Glad you & the Mrs. had an enjoyable few hours.

Thank you for the story !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

This hobby of collecting has never been all about the money for me. Yes its nice to make a killing now and then. But I have always been the guy at the swap meets selling my stuff for way less than most everyone else. At the end of the swap meet most of my items are sold and do not go home with me. I buy at good prices and pass it on. I do not need to squeeze every dollar out of the sale. Almost every single collectable item I own has been paid for a long time ago by selling the excess of buying large lots. I made a little profit thru the years at the hobby and got my stuff free. I never used family money to buy anything. So every item that is in my collection is free and clear. Now it has taken me 40 years or so to amass my pile, but I consider it zero dollars of family money. I do not fish, hunt, drink, chase wild women, smoke or any of the other accepted pass times of today. I was (and still am to a point) a picker myself. I traveled all over the US working as a Boilermaker. I picked as my pass time on days off. I have been in those old barns, going thru mega piles of stuff, just like they show on the show. Someone who has never been thru a pile of stuff that covers acres of buildings can not even understand. I understand that they need to try and double their money to make a living. That is the same percentage that I tried to work to. So it is no different for them trying to double their money, than when I tried to double mine. You do good on some things and lose your ass on others, so doubling is really hard to do. If they come to our place, they probably will not buy enough to even be missed in the collection. We have started downsizing, changing our priorities and traveling and camping more. The kids appreciate the stuff, but they do not collect and do not want it. They will want the family items, but not the other stuff. So the kids said sell it, so they will not have to. I sell cheap, donate some of it, and give a lot to people who appreciate it. So, if they do show up (odds are not real good) yes we will have a good day. I will be playing the buying/selling/haggleing game, but at the end of the day I will not be looking to count any profit. have fun and be safe ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 08:15 am:

Good for you Donnie! Robbie is a good guy on TV and not near as annoying as his brother Mike. I, on the other hand, would point back to the farm gate they entered into for their expeditious exit if they ever came here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Mike I can handle - he seems like he's a fair and upfront guy. Frank, on the other hand, is irritating and seems to want "the deal" every time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:32 am:

I met Robbie this year at Hershey as he was selling some signs across from the HCCA tent. I was impressed how friendly he was. He took time to talk about signs and the "show".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Bill, I personally know five people who have been "picked" They all like Mike, Danielle, and Robbie, but no one really likes Frank. They all say he is "full of himself". He may be a good guy, but he does not come off as a "good guy". Just from talking to Robbie, I bet his collection is huge. He was very knowledgeable about almost everything I have. But as a picker, he should have a good working knowledge of everything he may encounter. Then he also has the shows historians and researchers to do the rest of the research. I look at the "Pickers" showing up as just one more person or group trying to buy my stuff. I have had hundreds and hundreds of people thru the farm in the last 40 years. Some people buy things, others just visit. But it is always fun, ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Accumulating the stuff and meeting the people who gathered it and saved it over the years is part of the fun of the hobby and the idea should be preserved right along with the rest of the hobby. We can type to each other here,but until we meet over a bunch of rusty metal,do we know each other much.
1 of my friends had the Pickers down and said he wanted to do it for the publicity for his place. They didn't buy much. If you remember the guy with the 30's vintage Airstream that gave them a fit,that's him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Terry Woods. I just noticed your name, its funny how a person can look right at something and never see it. The one item I said was not for sale was the "speedster project" so the Rajo 4 valve head I bought from you for the "speedster project" will not sell, (unless they get very crazy with the price). But you may get to see your old 4 valve head again ... :-) :-) my odds are poor of being picked, but "who knows"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 10:46 am:

My feeling about that show is they are showing what you have to the world, when Donnie Brown is on vacation or not at home there will be a half dozen people there getting parts they need or to sell in their flea market. I am very careful of people I do not know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Donnie has many wonderful collectible items. Here in Arkansas we have shotguns at the ready for intruders. I think one of the differences I see among sellers on the show is so many of them are hoarders and do not want to part with anything. Donnie is ready to sell and downsize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

What gets me is when the pickers find something that the hoarders had completely forgotten that they had, and when asked if they want to sell, they say no. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Mark, I have never understood the "hoarder" thing. I feel it is a fear of getting rid of something they may need later .?? That does not really bother me as much as the guys that buy tons of parts, and let them sit outside till they are not even good scrap iron. I have been a picker/collector for a long long time. I know dozens of places with tons of parts, that are sitting outside, or the building is leaking, or even collapsed. I went to a place here in Arkansas last September that had more than enough parts to fill several semi-truck loads. The parts were mainly model T, Model A, and old military jeeps. Lots of it had been NOS at the time it was put in the buildings. The parts had fallen thru the floors of the buildings, with the roofs and walls collapsed. I tried to buy some of the NOS accessory parts that had somehow survived in a sheltered location. He would not sell me one single part. He said he had plans for the stuff.???. I really try to be careful as to not makek things easy for a thief, but I am not going to let a fear of it bother me. Yes it could happen, but I feel like the show is not going to be the thing that made it happen. We have a security camera system that I had installed by a friend who was in the security at Arkansas Nuclear One power plant. We have dogs, and as Curtis mentioned, plenty of shotguns in Arkansas. And most folks around here that are not close friends think I belong to the "Mob" since I belonged to the Boilermaker Union all my working career. The "Pickers" is a topic almost as divided as "What oil to use" or "Marvel Mystery Oil" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Donnie,

Any news ?

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Jim, Robbie said they would start calling the chosen picks today (Tuesday the 5th) So we figure it will be sometime this week we are notified if we were "picked" to "be picked" The odds are not real good, 8 out of 40, or 5 to 1 odds. But who knows ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Donnie,

Thank you for posting this thread along with the updates.

It is interesting to hear a " first person perspective " about Antique Archaeology.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:39 am:

A friend of mine met Frank and had expressed interest to have them visit his collection and was told he would have to sell them about $10k in order to be “picked”...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Either way Donnie, I'm glad you had the chance to meet up with some TV personalities.

I just stopped by Wayne Carrini's shop (Chasing Classic Cars) while in Ct. It was Sunday so of course no one was around, but still cool to stop by and see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gus on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00 am:

It looks like we were not "picked to be picked" They were supposed to start calling last Tuesday the 5th. If for some reason they were to call later, Ill surely let everyone know, but for now it looks like "not this time". Robbie said we will only get a call if we were picked. But it was still a fun day, Its not often a TV personality gets to sit at our table and have coffee with us. This is their second trip across Arkansas near us, so "maybe next time" .?. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 04:33 am:

Donnie..I am glad the pickers didn't call in the first time around as I am quite sure they would have picked the Reliable Dayton and my family would have missed out. Donnie, have a Happy Christmas with your family and to all the MTFCA Forum group, Merry Christmas. Neil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration