Bending throttle rod?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bending throttle rod?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

I have not yet tried adjusting the throttle linkage on my '21 Touring but now I'm thinking that I might need to. If I push the lever up all the way the engine dies. It just won't idle that low. If I bend the rod to shorten it I can adjust it so that minimum idle speed is at the top of the lever travel, right? Then I can fine tune it with the screw on the carb. After that pushing the lever to the top won't kill the engine. Is that the way it's done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Bring your idle speed up with the adjusting screw on the carburetor until it idles at the speed you are comfortable with. At that point you may have to shorten the rod (by bending it)a little until the throttle lever returns to idle position on the quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:04 am:

Thanks Charles. You did a better job of answering the question than I did asking it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Tommy, as you have it, you have maximum engine braking, which is no bad thing. If you set it up so the lever is right up and you can still idle the motor, it will still take away some of the braking ability.

I set mine so the motor will die if the lever is all the way up. You pretty soon get into the habit of leaving a little travel left at the quadrant so you do not stall.

Others do it differently.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:15 am:

I did the adjustment on mine this morning. Pushing the lever all the way up will not kill the engine now. Allan, are you saying that killing the engine gives maximum braking?
I have not killed my engine with the car moving yet. When that happens will the engine restart if the car is rolling, in high gear, like push starting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Sort of Tommy. If the engine can still idle with the throttle closed, then it is still capable of giving a little driving force to the car.

When tow starting a T, I select high gear with the handbrake forward and hold neutral with my foot. With some forward motion the clutch pedal can be released and away you go. Its the same as tow starting a modern car. You would never try that in bottom gear.

hope this helps, Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 10:04 am:

When you close the throttle and 'kill' the engine with transmission engaged to decelerate the car, aren't you pulling unburned gasoline from the carb idle circuit into the cylinders and exhaust? If so, what happens when you restart?? Personally, I would prefer to keep engine running, you might need 20hp after the panic subsides. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Jim, if the engine dies for being fuel starved, whatever mixture drawn into the cylinders will still be burned so long as the ignition isn't shut off.

Personally, I feel the "power down" from throttled to idle is no less adequate engine braking than a motor stalled. The factory setup is to have the throttle lever close the carb butterfly to the point where fine adjustment can be made at the carb for a low, quiet idle. Each to his own, but I would find it inconvenient at least if the engine died with the throttle lever past a certain point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Rich, good points and well stated. I never liked turning off the engine while driving for any reason. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Fellows, nowhere did I recommend stalling the motor. Read my last sentence!!!!

In practice, in city driving, the first reaction when braking is foreseen, is to whack the throttle against the stop. If further braking is required, the pedal is used. When the car is almost at rest the throttle is lifted off the stop so the engine can idle.

Most of the driving in my 1912 Haighs Chocolate van is done in the city, making promotional appearances outside the various stores. Each day sees me put on almost 70 miles. Occasionally I do have to make a panic stop when an unforeseen incident occurs. The worst of these resulted in a split pinion gear. Otherwise, leaving braking distances as though I was driving our grain truck, and watching the traffic well ahead, has meant I have stayed out of trouble for 22 years now. Having said that, delivering Santa to the shopping mall on Saturday may well be jinxed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

I went for a short drive this afternoon, intentionally staying off the brake pedal and backing off the throttle earlier than before. I'm pleased with how it slows the car under normal braking situations. Maybe I can get in the habit and save my brake band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Tommy, it's great fun to get the hang of these cars ain't it?
I believe tossing the timer lever UP during a slow down also helps.
You'll get into the habit just grand and it'll all feel natural in no time!
Oh oh, what if down the road you get another one? It'll be the same yet possibly the nuances may be way different between the two.
:-)
I sure get what Allan says too. My index and middle finger are almost always on the throttle lever and in a short time, one could train ones-self to pull the lever down a couple notches for an idle without thought. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration