Old Photo - Mode T Era Butcher Shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Mode T Era Butcher Shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 08:29 am:

A little off topic but an interesting view into life in Model T Times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Love the tin ceiling! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:46 am:

The USDA would have a field day in there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I remember a butcher shop much like this one. Skelton's on Main St. in Rexburg, I'd. It was spotless, and better be, no one was fussier than my grandmother. She would never have bought meat there if it hadn't met her standards for cleanliness. There was a killing floor behind, if the door was left ajar, you could see the sawdust on the floor was always snowy white.

Amazing. Our parents and grandparents actually survived these primitive conditions without gummint oversight.

Nowadays if I take a critter to the local packer I get to pay an additional $30 per head for the USDA inspector to say it's OK for the butcher to do what he knew how to do 140 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Here is a photo of Smith and Wagner's General Store in Mt. Airy, Maryland. Photo taken in the late 1920's. My father, the guy in the middle, was their butcher.

Another tin ceiling, too.

Store

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Pretty much exactly the same here today unless you live in a large city. We don't, we live rural and have survived for close to 5 years without refrigerated meats, poultry, eggs or milk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

On the farm our butcher shop was in the barnyard.We used to have a meat locker in town back before we got a freezer. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Our local butcher used to pay me a penny a pound for clean newspapers when I was a kid. The orders were wrapped in clean butcher's paper first, and then he'd make a large pad of newspaper on the bench, and rewrap the whole parcel. Can't even guess how many regulations that would break these days.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Are those hams or turkeys on the floor in front of the right hand display case?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I'm thinking hams. I was gonna mention the fact that they're stored on the floor too. I guess it was OK because they're wrapped up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:38 am:

And the folks in the first pic must have had a smoke house out back to preserve the sides of bacon and ham hocks hanging on the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Let's see no A/C which means they probably had a screen door. Most meats were preserved by smoking/canning or salt curing How did our Parents survive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Not for the squeamish...

When I was a little guy, my mom took me shopping with her to a Belgian butcher shop in Detroit, Vergotte's. Behind the counter, along the back wall, were a series of funnels with a tin gutter mounted under them. Head first, in each funnel was a chicken, maybe dead, maybe not, with blood running from its neck and into the gutter. Most likely done to emphasize how fresh the chickens were. I think there were sharp projections at the bottom of the funnels to automatically begin the process as soon as the chicken was inserted. I found it all very fascinating. Not sure when that procedure was last on display there, (still in business), but I would imagine that today's youth would need counseling after a visit or two. I thought it was ingenious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:46 am:

The "hams" on the floor are Hubbard squash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

My wifes grand father went out of business from butchering and cutting meat in the early 80's. After 50 years, the regulations imposed said he was doing something wrong and he would not spend the money to make them happy. The butcher shop I used for years built a new building. Next to the stock yard. Same location as before.The town would not let them have a kill pen so if you want them to cut your animals up you have to take them to a butcher shop out of town and have them killed and skinned. Guess who got my business?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Dallas,Any luck deer hunting? Most critters/meat cuts better when almost frozen,and it's funny you don't see deer hanging in trees anymore.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

I enjoy the way these photos take some of us back. Today while looking for old belts for top straps I stopped by an old shoe repair shop. Talk about stepping back 100 years. This quaint little place with 3 Singers from the 19th century had all the charm these old photos have. The proprietor also was from a different time. I couldn't have dreamed a better experience. He gave me free scraps. Perhaps the old Coupe I parked out front helped.
There can't be too many places this special still around. We should enjoy them when we find them.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

In the last pic, I'm wondering why they have Apples in the meat counter display ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Seen 16 sunday Bud. None looked tasty enough I guess. Funny you said that about deer hanging in trees. Everyone here hang their deer from the hind legs. A very elderly friend in the U.P. seen a photo of a deer I had shot when I was younger and asked why I hung him upside down. They hang theirs from the head. If you drive by my place in deer season odds are you will see them hanging from the big hard maple in the circle drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Dallas with little farmland and few deer in da up they might not want to invest in a gambol stick.It seems like the hard way but once i did see one skinned with a FORD pick up!! I think there was a lot of beer involved! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration