Aw nuts......did I ruin my coil??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aw nuts......did I ruin my coil??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I'm rebuilding one of my coils that was marked "good" when I stored it originally, that is, it ran and produced a good spark. I tested between the two front terminals and got a reading of 3200 ohms, so I carefully removed the tar and the old capacitor. Now I have no reading between those terminals at all.

Does the capacitor have to be in the circuit, or did I get a little too "dig happy" with the screwdriver and damage the secondary winding somehow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

"Dig Happy" ???? May have damaged th3e secondary winding...

Are the wires securely soldered to the terminals ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

One or two of the coils I have had for rebuilding have suffered an open circuit secondary, where the owner had previously removed the condenser and damaged the winding. Fortunately, such damage is usually on the outside of the winding, and the secondary can be unwound back to the continuous part of the winding. Given the high turns ratio, the loss of a hundred turns or so doesn't affect coil operation.
Another common cause of open circuit readings is where the coil windings are soldered to the terminals on the wooden box. Sometimes there's still some enamel on the wire where there should obviously not be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

So, it sounds like in order to find/fix the problem I'll have to dig the rest of the tar out. Arrgghh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

With a abundant supply of original Ford coils, get yourself another to rebuild and take precautions not to make the same mistake.

Hundreds of turns of fine wire encased in old tar, and you expect to fix ??? You're a better T man than I my friend.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Most don't do this but I always loosen the tar from the wood case on the side the capacitor is on by sliding a putty knife down between the tar and the wood. That side, once loose, can be removed/pried off the case which leaves a clear shot at the capacitor. The glass insulator is left in place making winding damage darn near impossible. A few drops of wood glue on the "teeth" holds it place when closing the case.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration