Unexpected Model T Sighting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Unexpected Model T Sighting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

I just saw aTV commercial for ADT that briefly featured a T Roadster. It was a very short segment, but I think or was a '23, which I imagine was the year ADT was started.

Anyhow, it was a T where and when I least expected it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Cool. Have to watch for it, altho we mostly record our shows on the DVR and watch 'em later so we can FFWD the commercials!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Nope. It was a '17-'22 Henry. Top of the verticle windshield folds forward and turtledeck didn't slope up where it meets the body. I'd bet its a '17-'18 because of the cowl lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Dang George. I doubt it was on the screen for 3 or 4 seconds. It took me that long just to recognize it as a T, much less evaluate it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Henry P, A lot of home dish and cable services (service? that is a laugh!) have digital processing that holds anything you watch in memory for some amount of time. It makes it possible to think "Was that a????", wonder for a few moments, and then go back to look for it. One can then check frame by frame and pause to view or critique.
I worked on the edges of the cable industry for most of my working life. But I don't have that level of service because I don't like the way the cable industry (marketing and lying is an industry?) conducts its business, and I refuse to pay for it. Nothing else that comes with that level of service is anything I want either.

I would speculate that George H has such a service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Agree with George as to the age period of that T. I have seen the commercial, too. It's a great picture. Interesting to see the actual black paint finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Nope once again Wayne. I can't stop a movie/commercial at the level of DISH service we have. That ADT commercial is either shown very often in our area or I watch 'way to much TV. Happy Thanksgiving to all my Forum Friends !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Well then, George H, you must have a good eye! I haven't even seen the commercial yet myself.
I do sometimes wish I had those better levels of "service", but cannot justify the cost. I have worked with other forms of freeze-frame equipment. It has always amazed me how video tricks the eye (mind). Actual freeze-frame is never as clear as one would expect from watching the video at normal speed. Even film fools the eye (mind) some, but electronic video hides another layer of trickery. Look at all the early film stills shown on the memes' thread elsewhere on this forum. Brightness and contrast is off, the actor's makeup shows clearly, other things appear a bit fuzzy. Usually, if you watch a good copy of the original film, it appears much more natural (I have watched so many old movies that black and white looks natural to me?). If you have a projector with the capability to stop (and not burn the film), it becomes surprising how much of that is a trick of the eye (mind).
Movie production has almost always been accompanied by still camera photographers that take stills during filming for use in advertising and other sales. The sharpest and clearest stills from movies are usually not taken from the actual film.
Some years ago, (I think it was) Life Magazine had an issue showing stills taken during filming of some famous movies of the 1950s. It was interesting to look at because the pictures revealed some of Hollywood's secrets. Some of the most famous actors were shorter than they liked to admit, and walkways had to be built for walking scenes with actresses that were actually taller than the actor. Hollywood has kept most of those pictures hidden for a long time. But at a few shows, I have met a few Hollywood collectors and seen a fair number of other unpublished photos from private collections.
Final films of course were carefully edited (and altered or brushed out) to not show what can be seen in some of the camera stills and other pictures. Mostly. But that would lead us to "bloopers".
Fun stuff.

Link to memes thread part 2:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/796794.html?1511328431

Memes thread part 1:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/721261.html?1507509975

Note, most of the postings are not film stills, but there are a bunch that are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Found it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54ixMIjQSs&index=1&list=PLL3l4Fkuup0rqUhM4S0awqqJ09PsbEEui

Took a screen shot of it also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

I visited Richmond, Indiana last week and saw a Model T sitting on top of a water tower.

It was far enough away that I could not tell if it was a real Model T or not, but I sure was wondering how it got up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Great picture!
MINUS the ADT logo, The 18 pshycOdelic that lives here should look like that.
Minus the low tires.
Sheesh, they got a hand pump with every purchase, didn't they?
Ya ever notice how many T tires should be pumped up a little bit? Or a lot.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Jim Golden.... that was a modified Model T.. had to be to have enough energy to get perched up on that water tower. Very close to the Model T Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I had an unexpected Model T sighting in my garage this morning, then I remembered that it belongs to me.

Refer to the OT I am not old thread.

For those that are keeping track - it is 1:30 on Sunday afternoon and I have not had my glass of wine yet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration