The Ultimate Steering Wheel Accessory For A Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Ultimate Steering Wheel Accessory For A Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:04 am:

I was doing some hunting through past posts here on the Forum and came across this fabulous accessory posted by Michael Pawelek in 2007. Has anyone seen one of these? Better yet does anyone have one they'd part with or will to me. :-) Id love to install one on our daily driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:47 am:

I have collected pictures of Model T and Model A accessories from the Internet since Al Gore invented it and believe that Unit was on something like EBay. During the infancy of the Internet some pretty rare parts came up from folks that had no idea what they had and prices were very low. I passed up on some things I later on wished I had bought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:49 am:

That is just wild and they used the dash space for a clock. Must have had a healthy price tag back in the day !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Kind of a precursor to the "do everything" steering wheels in the current Formula 1 and Indy cars:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:55 am:

The column tube looks to be round, even down into the dash bracket, so where does the transition take place. Is it a whole replacement column?

Sure wouldn't want to bash your face into that in an accident!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:38 am:

The Maserati Boomerang must have liked the gauges on the wheel concept....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Here is another, but lack knowing where I saved it, but did on March 17, 2017, this one in an open Ford.

Has dash lamp in place of horn button as the other one, odd place for such a light, guest it's really a lap lamp. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Mighty interesting. Doubtless the accessory had to include the whole column. ad I saw it, but I wouldn't rely want to own one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schreppel on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Jay,
The steering wheel pictures posted, are of my 25' Tudor Sedan. I believe it was a dealer option and is a complete steering column. This particular car came with several accessories, stromberg OF, snubbers, clock, bumper and one of which I have never seen another, a removable hand crank. I did see another cluster on a on-line action on a 25' roadster last winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

The lamp probably illuminates the speedometer and ammeter. But, it could just be a fancy horn button. That's a lotta weight on the steering column!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Well, that doesn't look one bit cumbersome, does it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Steve, AWESOME accessory my Friend! Thanks for chiming in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Interesting for sure! The many people who so often comment,....."cars were so simple back in those days",.....really should see these photos, huh? WOW!

Now, just to "stir the pot" a little,.....do you suppose the steering ratio was 4:1 or 5:1, or something different,...??? Whatever it was,....don't even think about ever trying to change it, right? (:^) (;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Thought they were really progressive in the 1970's with the column lock. Ha, everything old is new again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

John, the early V-8s had a combination steering column lock/ignition switch--nope, nothing is new!
Heck, the 1917 Premier had an electric push-button shifter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Many makes used a steering column lock from the mid 20s through the 30s. Accidents happened when the lock was engaged while the vehicle was under way . . . perhaps frequently enough their popularity waned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James MacNaughton on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Ford did like putting stuff in the middle of the steering wheel...58 Edsel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

It appears that the whole column was replaced. I wonder if there is an actual steering gear box on the other end. Maybe this was part of a steering gear accessory.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration