Question About 1925 Touring Rear Seat Frame and Pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question About 1925 Touring Rear Seat Frame and Pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Hello, my 1925 Touring body came with its rear seat frame, but not the pan underneath that provides the floor for the storage area.

I bought the pan and am trying to figure out how it attaches to the seat frame and/or body sills. Based on a couple of pictures I found elsewhere in the forum, I drilled a couple of holes in the front pan flanges and bent them up 90 degrees so that they could be screwed to the sides of the body sills.

I notice that the vendors offer a complete seat frame with the pan installed, has anyone bought this frame assembly? Is the under-seat pan attached to both the front and rear of the seat frame, or only the front?

Just mocking up the parts in the body, it looks like the front edge of the under-seat pan is attached to the seat frame, but the rear part of the pan has flanges that look like they screw to the tops of the sills. This would put the back of the pan too low to fasten to the rear of the seat frame.

See the attached pics from Lang's showing the pan alone, then the complete seat frame with pan. The third pic is the one I found elsewhere on the forum (not my body) that I used for reference, showing the front flanges of the under-seat pan bent up 90 degrees to fit between the sills.

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Oops, wrong third pic, try this one:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Off topic Mark BUT looking at your last photo - you really should not have the exhaust pipe clamped at the muffler - it's should be able to move like a slip-joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

As I said in my post, the pics are NOT MY CAR!

They are just pics that I found elsewhere on the forum that show the area of interest. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

I usually look at photos first & read second - my apologies !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Not a problem, at least you looked! :-O

After some adjustments and more mockup work, I have determined that the front of the under-seat pan fits under and is riveted to the rear seat heel panel, and the rear flanges of the under-seat pan do indeed rest on the sills and are attached with round-headed wood screws (no attachment to the seat frame at the rear).

The two attached pictures ARE of my 1925 touring body project, with the metal sill covers, rear seat pan, and rear seat frame set in place (not fastened yet).

It may not be obvious in the pics, but what looks like bare steel on the seat frame has been clearcoated by someone in the past to keep it from rusting. The pan is bare steel, I plan to prime it and paint it satin black after I punch the holes for the rivets at the front. I will also scuff down and paint the seat frame satin black as well.

The white curved pieces in the rear corners of the seat frame are tack strips for the upholstery that I made out of cellular PVC trim. I heated it with a heat gun, bent it around a pipe to get the correct curve, then trimmed the ends to the appropriate size. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Steve re the exhaust pipe. I us-ta think the same thing but then after thinking about it, the originals were one piece with the tail pipe going all the way thru the muffler. The tab that mounts the muffler to the frame is what was meant to bend as the pipe and muffler expand. :-) I have an original setup that has about a bazillion miles on it with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Only late model exhaust pipes were the first stage of the muffler - Larry Smith knows what years they were produced like that - all previous mufflers were 3 piece and the pipe was a slip joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 01:01 am:

The the replacement mufflers that are the type shown above; are mounted using one hanger at the rear like the late type. The slip joint like the earlier muffler that were mounted at both ends is not needed so can be clamped.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration