Standard lifter bore size.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Standard lifter bore size.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Does anyone know the stock bore size for the lifters (tappets) in a T? I'm trying to gauge the wear in my 1918 block.

Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Push rod guide holes, .437"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

My 1926 engine had factory under-size .416 lifters, I had to bore and ream to .437 to get to standard. I have spoken to a few other people that have run into this as well. I have never heard why Ford may have used these under-sized lifters. All other engines I have worked on have been standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 07:59 am:

I’ve rebuilt 2 engines in the last year that had undersize lifters and had to be reamed for standard lifters!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Thanks guys........I'll check the holes today and see what I've got!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Along these lines, five years ago I ordered a 0.015" oversized lifter reamer from a major Model T parts supplier to do a 1914 engine block with worn lifter bores. It cleaned up the holes nicely and the new oversized lifters dropped into place. The tool was put back in its plastic sheath and stored. Last week I retrieved it for the first time since 2012 to open up worn standard size lifter bores in a'26 engine block. After cutting through one lifter bore, I attempted to insert a new 0.015" oversized adjustable lifter, which checked out as such via calipers. It wouldn't go into the reamed-out hole, hanging up about 1/3 of the way. Re-reaming several times still didn't make the hole large enough for the new lifter. What the ?????? I tried a different correct size lifter. Same result = stuck in the bore. Measuring the reamer with my calipers showed the widest portion of the fluted edges was only 0.414 instead of the 0.015 oversize it was supposed to be. That means, by reaming out 8 measly lifter holes in 2012, that $65.00 reamer wore off 0.005-0.007" from its cutting flutes!!! For one job? Has anyone else run into this problem with reamers purchased from the "big" vendors? I am reluctant to order a new one at that price if I can only get one job out of it. And yes, I did use oil while reaming.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I would think that by the last couple of holes you would have had problems installing the lifters if it had worn that much. Maybe the replacement lifters gotten at the earlier date were made wrong and were undersized and the ream was made to fit them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:44 am:

I just checked the 1/64 OS reamer I have, I get approx .451. It was bought new about 3-4 years ago and used once. I say approx as I have not been real successful in measuring reams in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Ordinary solid reamer will be made undersize if turned backwards. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Good point to ponder, David. That may have happened five years ago when I used the reamer for the 1st and only time until recently. I don't recall specifically reversing the reamer back then, but I may have. I should think, though, that it would take many such backwards revolutions to wear down the cutting splines. I did not use a drill or any power equipment; rather, I turned the reamer by hand and a T-handle. If I did reverse the reamer during the procedure, I can't imagine I did it a lot of times, otherwise it would stand out in my memory. Do you think only a couple times would cause this damage, or more? It was not a cheap Chinese Harbor Freight reamer. If reversing the reamer did ruin the cutting splines, then the damage is my fault, not the reamer's quality.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

It doesn't take much, you can screw it up with hand tools. You can also bring it back some, but somebody should show you how, so you don't make it worse. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Did you loan it to someone? Happened to me about ten years ago. Loaned someone a reamer. They brought it back and said they used it but it was dull, so they “sharpened” it for me. They must have put grinding compound on it and spun it backwards! Had to toss it in the scrap bin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Speaking of cheap Chinese junk at Harbor Freight, Tuesday I went to our local HF to buy a cheap Chinese junk adjustable reamer to finish this job, knowing it would probably be a one-time sacrificial lamb and be worn down afterwards. I have never been able to find anything in this store that I needed and have left empty-handed the last eight times because even on the rare occasion when I could find an employee to ask, HF didn't have the tool I sought. Hope springs eternal in the human breast, so I tried one final time. Upon entering the store, I lucked out and encountered a Gen-X employee going on his break. I asked him where the adjustable reamers were. His answer - AND I KID YOU NOT, FOLKS!!! - was: "What's a reamer"? I was stunned. 'Dunno why I should have been, but I was. That did it for me right then. For the ninth time in a row I walked out empty-handed because I couldn't find another employee who wasn't on a break and I wasn't able to find any reamers by myself.
Am I the one out of line here, expecting too much? "What's a reamer?", asked by an employee in a tool store, and nothing BUT a tool store??? Tools are not just a sideline at HF; that's their reason for existing: to sell TOOLS. Color me gone. I will never go to HF again, no matter what I need. Heck, I won't find it there anyway.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:16 am:

Needing some new tire covers for one of my trailers,, I went in a Harbor Freight and made the mistake of asking for trailer tire covers and was told that the car tire covers were on isle XX, but he was not sure if they would work for trailer tires!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration