OT - For those contemplating 'shoulder replacement'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - For those contemplating 'shoulder replacement'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Today was the trip to the orthopedic doc for my six-week follow-up after the 'total replacement'. X-rays showed everything progressing normally, with bone growing back. I can finally now 'ditch the sling' plus the RSD/CRPS compression sleeve & glove, and maybe have some comfort when sleeping. Restrictions are adjusted to "15 to 20 pounds, but no torque upon wrenches for another six weeks.... That's for at least the three months after surgery." Physical therapy has been scheduled to start next week, so I'm keeping the ice pack gizmo and pain-killers within reach. Doc says my arm will recoup gradually as I continue to use it more and more. Perhaps it might have been helpful if he could have installed a grease zerk??
The arthritic pain and 'clunk' is gone, with only the physical pain of muscle atrophy as the consequence.... (Other than those 'carry forward' restrictions, and that frustrating accompaniment as a 'pain in the posterior'.) It looks as though the best I can do is to be 'practicing my putz' for a bit longer.... Meanwhile,
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" and
"Happy Thanksgiving!" Then, "Remember the Reason for the Season!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Do not let the RSD/CRPS complication of mine be a deterrence. It occurs in 2% of those with peripheral nerve injuries. Should you wish to learn about it, I will suggest this site: http://www.rsdhope.org/crps-top-15-faqs.html

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Marv, I wish the folks that did a surgery on me in May would've said "You really shouldn't do anything for 3 months." :-)
This year was a bugger. You are on the money about muscle atrophy too.
"Hey Marv, whatcha doin'? Putzing." Sounds a bit like me this year. Just putzing. :-)
I also like the reference to remember the reason for the season coming!
Take care sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

It gets better! I had both of my shoulders replaced about 5 years ago. No pain at all, now! But do the PT. It'll hurt, but do it anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Hang in there Marv, do everything the therapist tells you to do and DO NOT try to get ahead of your therapist by doing more than they ask... there is a reason they go slow. One last thing ...go easy on the pumpkin pie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:45 am:

I had the rotater cuff repair as mine was torn up in my accident.
I can say this,the pt from a surgery like that will leave you sore.Sometimes wondering about 4 months later,"why in the #*$$ did I subject myself to this?" but it gets better.
Be careful and follow directions to the letter.
And 1 other thing, expect a little soreness.Don't try to medicate all the pain away.Some of that medicine can leave you in a state of "DUH" and you can actually be charged with driving under the influence if something happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I have a friend that had the rotator cuff surgery and after 4 months there wasn't much improvement. He did the things the Dr's recommended with not much improvement. Could hardly lift his shoulder and etc.
They did more X-rays and came to the conclusion that the screws worked loose. My friend insisted that he did all the correct therapy he was asked to do.

The Dr's redid his shoulder and after 4 months things got better with much improvement.

The only explanation of why the screws got loose was when he was in recovery he was moved to another bed and care was not taken when he was coming out of recovery.

Anybody else out there had a bad experience with the shoulder repair?

I may have to have it done but my friends story and a few others have me wondering if a good outcome is always the case.
In any event if it's made a little better that would be a plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Don't make my mistake and 'put it off'...
As one of those with a high pain threshold who can put pain 'on hold', or even 'ignore', I try to avoid drugs whenever possible... (Like having a root canal without 'freezing'.) Be aware that DUI has the same ramifications as DWI. Don't drive!
The RSD after my rotator cuff (7 years ago) effectively curtailed the PT that first time around... My arm was swollen to the degree of almost the size of my leg. With the medical awareness this time, it has been much more tolerable.
My point is that I 'put it off' for two years too long! Don't make my mistake. I'm very much looking forward to finding my wrenches again!
-Meanwhile-
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration