Is this correct?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this correct?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:22 am:

I am working on a customer's 27 TT. My question is, should the coil box be mounted to the engine or to the fire wall?27 TT fire wall / coil box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:56 am:

All the holes are present in the firewall for mounting the coil box, aren't they? It looks like all the needed holes and slots for the choke and mixture adjusting rods, and the pivot/lever are there too,like on my '21. I wonder if the two large holes in the lower left of the picture are factory. They look a little jagged to be original.With all those holes I believe, that with all the extra holes, you would get some heat into the interior, along with a little smoke.I'm sure someone will be able to provide an answer to your question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:53 am:

Tom, all TT's used firewall mounted coil boxes, no matter what year. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 07:00 am:

I think all TT used the firewall coil box from factory, but it's not unusual to see a 1926/27 car coil box used. Mostly then the holes in the fire wall has been covered by a plate. That would be the easiest solution, depending on how much the customer wants to pay :-)

A sign of the last 1927 TT's would be an oval switch plate. Usually they have a frame number on the top flange by the passengers feet - you can check there if the engine has been swapped (numbers matched from start)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Looks like he has been driving it without a coil box lid #'s 1 & @ coils are sitting proud in that box and probably not making a connection!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:44 am:

As Roger says, it's not unusual to see a 26-27 coil box used on a TT, especially with a 26-27 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Am I thinking right that the firewall is for a non electric start? As there is only 1 hole for the bottom terminals of the coil box instead of 2?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Mack,

Interesting. Same in both photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 10:30 am:

All metal firewalls have one hole for the mag terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:44 am:

From 1922 on, the same coil box is used for electric and non-electric start vehicles. Current from the battery or the magneto is directed by the dash mounted switch to one coil box terminal.

1923 still has two holes but one terminal.

1924 has one hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Wow. Sometimes we don't realize what it is that we do not know until someone asks us about it.

That make any sense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

I don't know what you are talking about. :-)
Yes Jerry, actually that has been one of the central cores of my philosophy towards learning throughout my life.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Someone once told me that what is important in life is what you can be taught AFTER you already know everything :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:16 am:

John R, My favorite is that "you cannot really begin to learn until you realize how little you know".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 02:24 am:

John - You remind me of quote from Albert Einstein that for some reason, sticks in my mind:

"Education is what's left after you've forgotten everything you learned in college."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Harold, that's a good one! Looks like I'm in for a heckuva Education, as I keep forgetting EVERYTHING!! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

John, that was a great saying. As our backgrounds are both in Telecom, you probability will concur that for me the last 10 years or so 3 out of 4 of the co schools I was sent to it seemed that "what" I was there to learn was less important than "if" I could learn.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration