Looking for rust in Henrietta.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for rust in Henrietta.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:29 am:

Before I get stuck into replacing the rodent damaged upholstery, I went looking for rust-out in the car. Her dry storage has served her well.

The sills and side panels are clear.

All fender bases are intact.

The valance panels still show much of the original black paint.

These two holes in the seat side panels are nail holes associated with the building of the tray.

I finally found rust through on the panel behind the seat backrest.

This was caused by the vermin infestation and their habitation in seats.It is below tray level, so I will ignore it.

I have some new parts now, so Now I can get on with some safety works.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Isn't it great to have an almost 100 year old car with no rust? My '21 Touring has NO rust in the body and has never been patched anywhere. That's very unusual here in NC. Both front fenders and the right rear fender were new when I bought the car. The left rear is perfect and the only way I knew it was not new was a very little bit of dirt still underneath. All the wood in the body is as solid as it was in May of 1921 except the tack strips for both seats, which have been replaced. I will probably never install any interior door panels because people look at the wood and are amazed at the condition. I am blessed and thankful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:19 am:

I found virtually no rust in the '26 Tourer when I cleaned it up, but evidence of vermin infestation included 2 dried out rat carcasses and in the recess behind the back seat a lot of Walnut shells. The car must ,at some time, have been adjacent to a supply of walnuts ..each shell had a half inch diameter hole chewed in it and was empty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:50 am:

So far, I haven't found any heavy rust anywhere on our pretty much original '25 "beater" coupe. It's rough, but solid. We are blessed!! :-) :-). Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration