Cleaning Paint off Fordite Steering Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cleaning Paint off Fordite Steering Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:45 am:

There is a lot of cracking and peeling paint on my fordite steering wheel. How can I remove this paint safely? Will paint thinner or something like that harm the fordite? It is removed from the spider.

Figured I'd make this a separate topic from my other thread so people can find this information easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:53 am:

I happened to have a broken piece of Fordite laying around and lacquer thinner doesn't seem to hurt it. I would start with that, then sand and polish the Fordite as usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Ok, thanks. Got to see where I've got some stored...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

I cleaned my wheel up with lacquer thinner. Then used wet sandpaper starting with 400 grit to remove scratches. Then wound up with 1200 grit.
Polished it with auto wax.
Looks nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

First of all, never paint a Fordite steering wheel. With lots of patience you should be able to get that paint off. I see late steering wheels all the time on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:49 am:

I can definitely tell why you should never paint em! Lol

The person before me painted it I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 07:53 am:

So, what do you do to prevent your hands getting black when driving in the rain ... ? I usually wear white leather gardening gloves when driving mine for three reasons ... keeps my hands clean, gives me a better grip and makes my hand signals easier for other drives to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:24 am:

On really humid days or when I am caught in the ring my hands turn black too. Any options to seal it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:47 am:

I have not had any experience with it, but have you tried waxing? As I was reading on how to clean it I've seen some people saying more cleaning and then wax...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I wax the steering wheel often. My hands still get a little black. Like Mark I usually try to wear gloves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

I wonder if the Fordite wheels residue rubbed off when they were new. Maybe age and slow degrading of the material used causes it.
Seems like there was someone who made a run of black T wheels that came out pretty good and looked identical.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration