Model A Tierod Ball Stud dimensions needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model A Tierod Ball Stud dimensions needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Does anyone have one of the press in Model A Tie Rod ball studs laying around that they could measure the diameter of the stud part and the length from shoulder to the end of the stud? I'm trying to diagram out some things to get ready to make some lowering brackets for split wishbone on the speedster project.

I plan on using Model A tie rod ends at the frame connection and wanted to get a jump on laying out the brackets while waiting for the ball studs to arrive.

Thanks, Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Matt; Model A's did not use a press in ball stud. They were part of the spindle arm forging. I do not have the exact size at hand but think they are approx 1 inch. The Model A tie rod end come in left and right hand thread and as they are threaded, there could be some adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Mark,

I may have been mistaken then. Most of the reproduction parts places sale a replacement that is weld in like this. I think I've seen where others have welded this ball into their brackets to use the Model A tie rod ends. You are correct as the ball itself is 1" in diameter I think. I was going to purchase a new repro tie rod and cut it and purchase the corresponding tie rod ends if I can't find some in my Grandfather's old parts stash. Thanks, Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Matthew the stud is 1/2 by 7/8 long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Ross, Thank you very much. Just what I was looking for. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I think the balls for the later V8 might work better. I think they are the same size but have a taper shank and are fitted with a nut to pull tight. Of course you would need the tapered ream. Unless the weld is top notch they are know for weld break and coming apart when used in the Model A spindle arm application.
I am surprised anyone even has them as many Model A'ers have gotten away from the weld in replacement balls and now get the rebuilt spindle arms that have the ball turned off and new on pressed on the remaining stub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Mark, My application for the split wishbone will see it welded on the front of the plate and back. I believe Bill from Antique Motorsports, if I have it right sold brackets like this at one time. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Matthew, interested in seeing what you do with all of this. I keep gathering ideas for a speedster build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Ok then. Have fun and be safe. Happy T day. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration