Old Photo - Model t Era - Downtown St. Louis Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model t Era - Downtown St. Louis Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Blowing up the picture, the model T appears to be a '13, with an after-market radiator cap and an non-painted horn. It may or may not be the Ford supplied horn. Windshield and bracing indicates '13 as opposed to "14. Most of the other cars appear to be about '14 or '15, maybe some '13s. The second car behind the T may be a '10 to '12 Maxwell (AA or AB ?)
The other side of the street has three big touring cars that based upon the fender beads appear to all be the same marque. The rear one (lic 10196), second and fourth cars ahead of it. Makes me wonder if there is a dealer close by?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

The car behind the Model T is a Studebaker.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I believe the car in the right foreground is a Marmon.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Would love to know where it was taken, but it's too generic to recognize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 12:40 am:

The address is 822 chestnut St. Louis mo. Not much left but a couple buildings still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:00 am:

How did you find the address? That's pretty much in the heart of downtown (note the Arch in the background of the modern picture), so it's probably been built and rebuilt several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 11:06 am:

In these "then and now" comparisons, why is it so hard for me to think "then" has been improved ?? We have built an incredibly ugly environment in this country, and I think it's actually getting worse - but what does a guy who gags at the sight of a Prius, but thinks a Model T is beautiful know ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Dick, I got lucky on finding the address of Hall and Evans title examiners that is in the photo on the right side. I found an old listing with their address from 1915 then looked it up on google street view and voila there it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Jay great pic. I always like these pictures. I need half the model T s in the pic but like most I have more than I can work on!!!!😂

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Good detective work, Matt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Hey, my daily driver is a Prius :-)
They are a great car for modern driving, just like my five Model Ts were great in the early 20th Century and a great fun today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Tony, I'm not knocking the utility nor dependability, comfort, features, etc., etc. Strictly a comment on ambience and aesthetics. My wife bought a new "Edge" last summer. If anything, I find it even uglier than a Prius, if that's possible, but that's only in the eye of this beholder. It's the main reason I bought my Model T !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Wheels is wheels.
Unfortunately, my only modern car now is the aging high mileage gas guzzler "broken-eggs-pedition".
Hey. I gotta have something to pull the trailer around!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration