? What make is this Overhead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ? What make is this Overhead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

? what make of overhead is this? The only markings
is an MF on the corner of the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Mike not much info to go on. Photos and description would help. 8 or 4 valve or more? Intake and exhaust ports on what side? Single intake port or? etc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

MF is the foundry marking. I believe they were in Indianapolis and as I remember both Frontenacs and Roofs were cast there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Farmers might remember 'Massey-Furgeson'....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

I still cannot post pictures, so I tried Fire fox
that was a big mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Mike, send me the pictures and Iíll post.
Tonybowker AT aol.com You know what to do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Many of here are running Firefox. It's not Firefox that is the problem it's the allowance on picture size by the host server of this forum. the photos have to be 250KB or less in size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Posting pictures here is a common problem for people. This forum is just about as antique as the cars we are working on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Adam, I have managed to post pictures for a while now. If the format is changed it will compromise my feelings of competence with this technology. Just when I have mastered something, you want to make it easier?

Next thing you will make it possible to transfer photos from my phone to my PC so I can use a proper keyboard and correct/ edit erorrs!

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:10 am:

Posting pictures seems to be a problem for some people on many websites, regardless of the format, hosts, age of system, etc. Posting pictures on this site has not been a problem for me for quite a few years now. I have also managed to post pictures onto other sites with newer formats. However, for me, they are more difficult. Also, one of the problems with many of those other sites, is that the photos are linked to a photo hosting site. Read through older threads on AACA for instance, and you may discover that many of the older pictures are no longer available. This sometimes happens in a short time, if the poster drops his photo hosting account. Or like now, Photobucket has changed their policies, broken their old promises, and holding people's photos hostage unless they "choose" to "subscribe" to their new levels of service. Many thousands of photos have vanished from many sites because of that.
This site doesn't use remote hosting. Photos posted here can stay as long as this site is maintained and kept active.

On the other hand. I have a terrible time getting photos out of my camera onto my own computer, thanks to program rewrites and a new camera requiring said rewrites. Once I get them onto my computer, and then find where the #$%@ program has hid them (not always in the same place???), resizing them and posting them is no problem.

I hate the game playing computer generation mentality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, Spakenburg NL on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:08 am:

I rather like the "old timey feel" of this forum and site, and the fact that posted pictures will remain on this site is a major boon above other sites. Another reason is because most of the time i, like many others, am on a slower and sometimes even dial-up internet connection, this site will load and show most pics, not so on many fancy dancy 'modern' sites which take too much bandwith to load all the ads and other doodads.
Please don't change a thing !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:37 am:

These are the pictures that Mike could not upload.

I guess if you are looking for an overhead or wire wheels, Mike is your man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Hi Mike- that head is a Roof. Foof made two 8 valve heads, a single intake and a dual intake version.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:16 am:

meant to type "Roof made. . . "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:36 am:

When I got them they were marked Frontenac, I did not think it was right but could not find a roof
with a square intake port. It does not need to be ported, it is a big chamber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Mike I knew you had cool stuff but............. We gotta come visit you. It's only a few hours away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Stan what are you doing up so early?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Posted byy Richard Eagle back in 15

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/507854.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Here are some pictures with the homemade cover removed. It has a raised lip for the cover gasket. It looks like yours was ground off. You can see the "MF" in the center. I didn't recognize yours with the freeze plugs removed. Mine has a serial number stamped in the lip at front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

I had looked for many years for an overhead valve setup for my Speedster. The few that showed up were very expensive. One day we drove into the mountains for a picnic. An old fellow sauntered over to look at my Speedster.
"Howdja like an overhead valve setup for this?"
Me "Sure what would you want for it?"
Him, emphatically "a hundred bucks."
Me "Sure you wouldn't take $75?"
"Nope"
We met him at his home a week later and he had the head, all the manifolds and a little kids leather suitcase with all the rocker arms and all but one push rod.
They are still out there for those who want one.
This one is a low compression version probably built for trucks. I suspect Fronty's and RaJo's are better heads. Mine has one exhaust valve that sticks. A new bushing will prevent that for a few years but eventually it will stick again. All in all I would go back to a low head for this car except for the prestige of an overhead.

FWIW Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Much like mine.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/628620.html?1459348342

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/628621.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Mike, I only worked until a little after midnight on Carburetors, then went up town and ate, was in bed by 2. It was 60 above here yesterday so I spent a couple hours at the ranch trying to get a wheel off a Willys pickup the damn tire shop put the nuts on with the biggest air impact in the world. Guess I will have to load it up and bring it back to town to get the tire fixed. So I slept in this morning until about 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

The head that is smooth on top was being set up for an overhead cam. The cam rack needs to be somewhat sealed to the head unlike the rocker stands. The MF is a foundry mark seen on different heads and I was told it stood for "Milwaukee Foundry" in Milwaukee Wisconsin but I am afraid this is history lost on what was being done.

That is an impressive collection. The stack of heads look like from bottom to top; Roof and Roof 8 valve-either "liberty or victory" depending on single or dual intake ports. Next is a Rajo 30 then a Rajo B then a Frontenac SR. The head on top is a mystery too me with the strange water neck. I can't tell if the intake manifold says "GEMSA" and think it might be a more modern casting.

That looks like almost 50 wheels! Dayton pin drive and buffalo. It looks like the wide wheels are Dayton dental drive with possibly some T size dental behind those. I like the buffalo snap ring better than the clincher and see a few.

If you got this in one purchase you did a lifetime score. If you chased all this down you have been busy and lucky. I have a similar collection and am not sure if it is a blessing or a curse.

Great things not often seen and not that much in one place.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Every 8 valve Roof head with twin intakes that I've seen were all fully machined on the top surface. The single intake heads were as cast on top, as the rocker stands on those are an integral part of the head casting.

Tim- pretty sure that head on top is a B or BB Rajo with a B or V-8 water pump adapted to the front water connection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration