Storing T for Winter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Storing T for Winter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Living in WI, winters here arenít very conducive to driving the T. Having just gotten my T running last spring, this is the first winter sheíll be sitting after coming back to life.

Is there anything I should be doing to make sure she pops back to life next spring? Iíll put her on a tickler charger so the battery doesnít die. I will also put some steel wool in the exhaust pipe to keep critters out. Thereís antifreeze in the radiator, so no fear of that freezing.

Anything else I should be doing??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

More work but best way. Take battery out, fully charge and leave alone. No need to keep charger on, save energy. No battery in vehicle no electrical problems "fire" as unlikely as it maybe now not at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

I leave mine on a trickle charger/maintainer as well. Also put the car up on jacks, drain the fuel from the tank and carb, and take the air in my tires down to 10 psi. Done that for a few winters now and no issues come spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I do the same things as Kevin just mentioned. I also remove the plugs and spray" Engine Storage Spray" in the spark plug holes then put the plugs back in the head. Works great.
Stouffville 30 klm north east of Toronto.
wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Getting the fuel at least out of the carb is a good idea although I'd REALLY consider a total drain of the fuel system. If it ran when parked & drained I guarantee it'll run when refuled in spring. Not an additive fan. Mostly because their money wasting do nothing trash. The battery is OK in place with at least one cable disconnected. Trickle charger is OK too. Don't think I'd go with Kevin's dropping tire pressure idea but off the ground tires is often done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

BIG item for Wisconsin...Make sure the fluid in the engine is good to -40*F. I lived in the Wausau area and ran my T all winter with water and a complete shield on the radiator. That didn't work very well. I still drive that T with that engine, but the block is cracked. (That was in the years around 1945-1950.)
I'm sitting here in Ko Olina, Hawaii. Just got out of the hot sun to avoid a sunburn. The day before yesterday I went to The Garden Of Eden clothing store and shopped in the XXL section.

Sorry for the repeat Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

I agree with Charlie. Drain all the fuel from the tank, filter under the tank and then everything from the carburetor bowl. Next Spring fresh fuel will make her start right up.
PS- Down here on the Texas Gulf Coast it is just getting cool enough to drive comfortably since last June! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:06 am:

From my former boating days where it was impossible to drain the fuel tank, my two cents is just to it COMPLETELY full..right to the cap threads with stabilized fuel. No chance for condensation that way. I use twice the doseage of StaBil. Shut off the sediment bowl, drain it and the carb. Tape the vent hole in the cap. You're good to go. Firm believer in StaBil after learning my lesson with my '94 T-bird when I didn't use it years ago for winter layup. It gets it too! No more problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:33 am:

StaBil is a great product, ive been using it for years in all my small engines including my motorcycle and have never had an issue . I have never drained the fuel out of any carb for a season for fear of drying out the seals, thats my opinion. Ive seen snowblowers that have sat for years with no gas in the carbs and they all need carb rebuilds. I have no experience with my T because im still in the process of restoring it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:33 am:

I change the oil, disconnect the batteries, in my case I have 2, original 6 volt system, and a 12 volt for my turn signals and lights. I drain the fuel completely, start her up and let her die.

Some years, I have sprayed a little oil in the tank.

I run 50/50 antifreeze so, nothing gets done there.

Only other thing, is to cover the T with some old sheets, just to keep the spring cleaning down.

One last thing, I place a few mouse traps around just to be safe. I have never had a mouse yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Lets see "anything else should I be doing"
yes, drive it. Humans have a short road, these cars have seen it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Folks up in the frozen tundra used to store their cars overnight. They would drain the oil and water when they got home and take them inside to stay warm, then refill in the morning to get started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Should they be stored with high gear engaged?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

I always keep my T's parked with the H.B. in the forward/released position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Forgot that Steve and it should be done. HB forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Why store the car in high gear? Interested in the logic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

By the way - OF COURSE I got a call today at noon asking if I can bring the car to a parade at 5p. I said yes because Iím a sap and also because I see owning this car as coming with some civic responsibilities. Winterization will have to wait a tad bit longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Leaving the transmission in direct forces most, if not all of the oil out of the clutch plates - seems to cause less drag next time you start her up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

A good battery dosen't need any kind of battery minder. There have been fires because of these. Just give it a full charge and unhook it. Just hook it back up in the spring and you are good to go.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration