1909-1911 gas cap question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1909-1911 gas cap question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

I was visiting a friend of mine yesterday and in his stash I was surprised -- no -- amazed to see he had not one, but TWO early brass gas caps.

I looked for years before I found one for my 1911.

The thing that is interesting is one has an open bottom, the other has a baffle on the bottom. I have never seen one of these with a baffle on the bottom before. Mine does not have a baffle...

Comments?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:37 am:

keith

the one on my 1911, which is believed to be original to the car, does not have a baffle, nor the appearance of ever having had one. cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:41 am:

My 11 has the open bottom cap, I believe it's the original cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Ditto on my 1911. Open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:21 am:

My guess is that someone added the baffle to reduce the amount of gasoline splashed out the vent hole when the tank was full and the car in motion over rough roads.

Not a bad idea, but I doubt that Ford would have spent the time or money to install the baffle as it wasn't critical to the car's performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:27 am:

The photo of the tops of the cap are not showing here. From the bottom photo, the one on the right looks like a '25-7 cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:28 am:

The photo finally came through. You have the correct caps. Not easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Keith, I could use one of those caps on my '10 - are you willing to part with one???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

This is the first early one I have seen. That's one more treat the forum has had for me.
Ford did have baffles like that on later caps. Most of them are missing:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/279679.html?1333399609

Vendors sell a baffled version for those who want them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

All three I have do not have a baffle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Richard, would you be willing to part with one???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Here is the underside of mine:

No Baffle.

Bill, the previously pictured caps are not mine. If my friend is interested in selling, I'm sure he will contact you.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Keith, here are 3 originals from #314, 4013 and 23,805. I go along with Tim, I think the baffle was added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

The one (NOS) with the baffle came out of Otis Clinton's traveling swap-meet sewing case - some of you guys might remember it - I believe he always had it at the Harrah's meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I remember that basket Steve, who ended up with it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I did !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

In the encyclopedia, Trent has some information about gas caps beginning October 10, 1911. The material was changed from brass to malleable iron.

Two weeks later on October 24, 1911 the material was changed again, this time to cast iron with the specification that the cap be tinned.

On February 3, 1912 the material changed again. This time from cast iron to aluminum. Same design, just a different material.

It goes on with the style unchanged for several years, which sounds like all of these are like the cap on the right.

So maybe the brass cap on the left was "discontinued" before October, 1911. Of course a record of change doesn't mean it happened on the assembly line on that date.

Thanks for sharing your day with me Steve.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

the one on the left in the above pic is the one used on our 12 it is the original cap with the car I have found 3 more and none have the extra piece, maybe Canada used them longer than the US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:42 am:

This cap is brass, believed original to the car.

11CarNbr7.jpg

11gascap.JPG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration