Tail light for Pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tail light for Pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:20 am:

What type of license plate / tail light bracket was typically used on a wood box type roadster pick up in the early twenties?

My 1923 runabout came to me with a side-mount running board spare tire holder. I removed it and installed the more typical rear tire mount. But I am planning to buy an original pick up box so that Iíll have the option of using the car as a roadster pickup on occasion by replacing the turtle deck with the box and reinstalling the side-mount tire tire holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:56 am:

You probably are aware, but there were no factory pick up boxes before 1925. Nice looking runabout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Yes, they were accessories. By the time Ford offered them the boxes were steel. The one Iím buying is vintage and was made for a Ford runabout so it will drop right in place of the turtle deck. Iíll store whatever is not being used (box or turtle deck) in the rafters of my tiny garage. It was built in 1919 so will feel right at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Cool. I thought about doing the same with our 27 roadster making it muti-purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I'll post a correct photo when I get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Most owners would have fabricated some bracket to hang rear tail lamp. Could have been supported from the rear panel on the runabout or from the wood bed, usually under so the tail gate swing won't break it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

If you're going to be switching between roadster and pickup, I guess whatever you go with would be best mounted to the body frame or chassis. Or the fender(s) if you're okay with drilling holes in them. What I did on my wooden box pickup was to run a length of angle steel under the box that a set of simple home made light brackets bolted to. It looks right at home on the truck, and for a little lighter and more period look I tapered the ends.

The lights themselves are repop Model A units from Mac's because I wanted brake lights and they were the cheapest and most period-looking units I could easily get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Never mind the license plate, it was just a piece of a pizza box for mockup purposes. You can at least get some idea of what's going on with the mount. If you're interested I can take some better pictures but it's fairly easy to make something up to suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Mark that is a really nice runabout. Those are one of my favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Here is a photo of a correct genuine Ford license plate holder and taillight assembly for a 1925-27 Ford steel pickup box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

This is a shot of mine. I have a similar wood box to the one pictured above. My 18 roadster has not been restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson, Whitefish , Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Larry, just a little of topic, was there a factory spare tire carrier for the 25 pickup box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Duane, no expert but not that I know of. I had a late 24/25 with box from the factory on it, no provisions for a tire carrier that I could see. Also looking at many photos from the various books I have not seen one either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Here is what I did. The big red light is the brake light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Here is the spare tire assembly that was on my Ď23 when I bought it. I removed it and installed the factory tire carrier on the back. When I put the pick up box on the car this side carrier will be returned to the running board.

Tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson, Whitefish , Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Thanks everyone. I have managed to assemble a nice correct 25 pickup and have been working on how to mount the spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson, Whitefish , Montana on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

A pic of my 25 in whitefish at the international this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:40 am:

No, there was no factory mounted tire carrier for 1925's anywhere. There was a company that used Ford spare tire carriers, and modified them to fit on the running board. That is the unit that is on Marks roadster above, but it's mounted in the wrong place. There are also two support pieces that were supplied to stabilize the unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Yes, the tire carrier and the wood pick up box would be accessory items for my Ď23. But thatís how a model T delivery type truck would have been made back then. Iíll be using all vintage parts and the best thing is that I can convert it to a factory runabout in a couple of hours.

I plan to put a portable darkroom in the pick up box so that I can shoot tintypes and glass negatives in the field.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration