22 Roadster Seat Back Wood?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 22 Roadster Seat Back Wood?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Should there be wood behind the seat back of a 22 Roadster?22 roadster body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:26 am:

http://www.fordwood.com/images/road17new.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Thanks Mark,
Looks like there is some wood behind the seat.
Thanks Again.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

I'm probably very wrong Dan.
I have this crazy notion that some of these bodies, even the Runabouts/Roadsters had almost nothing behind the seat back spring other than some cardboard maybe.
(This crazy notion involves the belief that some body brands vary greatly in the wood parts used. And their overall quality.)
Perhaps a board fastened to the upper part of the seat spring itself but that's speculation on my part tho it is mentioned here from time to time.

I wish I knew what brand of body the fordwood parts were patterned from. :-)

The milled board that's bolted with four bolts to the rear of your seat frame, it's completely intact in your 22 isn't it?
The seat back spring nestles in the upper notch, I think. Sure fits good.
My 18 is similar except mine doesn't have the galvanized steel strips and curved top rest irons. My 18's are straight.
I just looked at mine again to be sure and there isn't any indication there were any other pieces of structure attached to that milled board.
Is there a makers mark stamped in the top front of the heel panel or on the passenger's floor board riser?
Wishing I knew more and I believe there is more info on Touring car bodies than Roadsters/Runabouts...
See my first line above. :-)
I'm a trifle envious Dan. That 22 body of yours has a tack rail all around the back of the body yet, doesn't it?
Something heavy fell on the back of my 18 and messed it up some. Other than that, it's really pretty good! For a hundred years old.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

hi dan could you post a picture of the back and sides of the tack strip I am having the same problem with my 1916 roadster thanks bernie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

hi with marks post and what duey is saying it is all coming together a picture of tack stip all around will tell us all thanks alots bernie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:50 am:

I hope these come thru. And yes there is only a small square strip around the back
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:54 am:

There is only a square strip around the back.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Sorry it sent it twice
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:18 am:

hi dan I think the milled board at the rear of seat that duey pointed out has three boards going up to top of inside of back panel and bolts to back panel and tack strip the boards have a cross piece part way up that is the way I will do mine I hope that is right them pictures help bernie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:21 am:

hi dan I think the milled board at the rear of seat that duey pointed out has three boards going up to top of inside of back panel and bolts to back panel and tack strip the boards have a cross piece part way up that is the way I will do mine I hope that is right them pictures help bernie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I think Duey C may be right about low cowl T wooden bodies not having all the same exact wood structure. Simply because there were 5 different
body makers making the bodies.
There probably was a few minor differences here and there since the bodies were hand fitted together.

If you've been to swap meets you can find low cowl sheet metal body parts that aren't exactly alike. Same goes for most any T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Mark, thanks for posting the link to the wood parts. Is that a current manufacturer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

As far as I know, yes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Thanks Mark, I think all of my wood is there but pretty rotted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Sorry to stick my nose in here again Dan.
Mark, is there a makers letter stamp on the upper front of the heel panel? Ya lift your leg and kick back at the heel panel. :-)
Also:
Are there any numbers stamped in the passenger's front floor board wood riser? Perhaps down low near where the riser would be screwed down. Where your angled-up floor boards would be.
Bernie, did you get my PM?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:56 am:

hi duey no I did not get a pm I looked twice bernie

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration