Old Photo - Posing With The Family Ford Before Church

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Posing With The Family Ford Before Church
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Never noticed a closed car with front suicide doors until now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Coupe !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

I believe the change over on the Coupe door opening position was between 1923 and 1924. 1923 open from the front and 1924 open from the rear. Someone correct me if I am Wrong....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Michael you are correct -- suicide front doors on the coupe/coupelet from 1915 to 1923 (all low cowls).

Hinged from the front 1924 model year to 1927.

Several makes used a suicide front door on the closed cars see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

1908 Model S Ford Coupe (about 28 produced - suicide style).

Below is a 1934 Ford -

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

If any American marque made an ugly car in 1934, I haven't seen it ! My favorite Ford V-8 year !

I'm guessing the main reason for suicide doors in most cases had to do with considerations for strength and ease of construction. In the case of the '34 Ford, with that swept-back angle of the "A" pillar, it would require a fairly complicated swing-out strap hinge to keep the door level as it opened - the "B" pillar was vertical, so hinges could be simple ! ( and cheaper !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration