Camshaft timing gear selection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Camshaft timing gear selection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:30 am:

If a thinking man was going to replace his cam gear, with the intent of building a touring engine, which would he select?
I understand there are fibre, nylon or brass to choose from.

Dave Eddie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:42 am:

I would go with aluminum, bronze or original. My nylon lasted a long time but when it went, well that's a long story. Fiber gears are well known for stripping teeth. Which ever gear you use, take a hard look at both the crank and generator(if you have one) gears. If the teeth are worn and pitted, it's a good idea to replace them too.
RE fiber gears, there were some that have stood up fine over the years but you would have to know what type of construction they are. The ones that are resin coated sheet of cloth pressed into a mold are better, the other type is chopped up fiber mixed with resin and pressed into a mold, them not so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Unless you are running an overhead, I would use and aluminum gear. If the engine is apart replace the crank, cam and generator gears with gears from the same manufacture. DMC are the best and he can supply advanced gears as well as undersized for correct clearance.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I replaced the fiber gear in my 11 touring this spring. Probably installed in the fifties but didn't want to take any chances. Went with an aluminum gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

I've never had an issue with fiber timing gears on nongenerator cars. I like the fact you can buy them with .003 or .005" oversize if the distance between the cam and crank is too great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

I assume this is for Dave's 1926 Tudor. Presumably it has a generator. Why risk it when better choices are available?

I believe the best are NOS original or Dan McEachern's bronze gear. Second best would be aluminum. I would never have another fiber gear, and I'm not a big fan of nylon either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

OUCH !!
I have a nylon gear now with maybe 1500 miles on it, it's showing signs of wearing already.
I think I'll replace it with a bronze gear...just in case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

my cars have bronze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I'll add a vote for Dan's bronze gear, they are very nice indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Andy What's with no aluminum with an overhead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Does Dan have a currant /updated web Site ??? Went to one I found on google outdated by over five years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

He doesn't have an ad in either of the magazines, but the parts dealers sell his gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Here's another way fiber gears fail. We suspect this one might have been stressed by someone over torquing a distributor gear on the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

I think that the bronze should be used with the overheads. The load is higher with the overhead and the bronze is a little tougher.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Any of tbe metal gears if your not running anything off the cam gear you be happy with fiber gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:14 am:

I can understand there being less load on the gear without a generator, but there is a load there none the less. Why take the chance on something that has been proven to fail at times, over the other options that we have available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:29 am:

I have built a couple engines and have noticed if you use some of the suppliers gears you will get gear noise from them. I spent the extra for a well made gear and there is no cam gear noise, the DMC gears are the best on the market. I will show people the difference of running the two sets of gears together by hand and they can feel the how much smoother they run. Just my thoughts,Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:20 am:

You can always send me a PM thru the forum or e-mail me at dmcgearsATyahooDOTcom. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Reason I use fiber is you can get them oversize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Dan will make you any size you want.

I won't run another fiber gear. Don't ask me Why? hee hee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

If running a car with a generator, check the clearance between the generator gear and cam gear before installing the timing cover no matter which cam gear you use. I found it necessary to space out the generator bracket with an extra gasket to get correct gear mesh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

If you want a quiet gear train.

1) Get all three gears from the same manufacturer.

2) Ensure that the front cam bearing is good and fits the block well.

3) Ensure the proper clearance between crank and cam gears. Look it up every time. Don't trust your memory unless you do a lot of motors.

4) Ensure proper clearance between cam and generator gears. Again look it up. This assumes good bearings in generator.

Do it right, do it once.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

There are aluminum oversize and undersize gears in the Lang's catalog.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration