Gas tank covering pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas tank covering pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

What years did Ford cover the gas tank with a sheet metal pan (between tank and seat cushions) Early bodies had wood cover but when did they go to sheet metal? Why did they stop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I think Ford started with the gas tank cover in 1919? Somewhere around there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Metal started in '15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

My 1914 is wood but my 1917 Touring was metal. It was held by two metal hinges. It was a little rusty but looked original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that for 1915/17 it could be either steel or wood, depending upon body supplier or production run. Between production difficulties and wartime shortages, several minor pieces went back and forth steel and wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Wayne's right, '15-16 bodied varied depending on manufacturer and production run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:05 am:

So when were these covers discontinued. Would love to have one on my 23 because the original seats drop a lot of burlap fragments on the gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Howells sheet metal lists the sheet metal gas tank covers for T Touring and Roadsters from 15 thru 20.
They also list Touring rear seat metal covers for 15 thru 20.

When I built my 21 Touring I put the front seat one in it. Don't know if its 'correct' for the later low cowl T's but they will fit 17- early 23 low cowl bodies. Or so I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Whoops. I meant to say 15 thru early 23 low cowl bodies. Or so I think!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:24 am:

I don't know if my 24 Roadster had one or not but I made one out of some clear lexan I had laying around. Didn't want seat stuff dropping on the tank and road stuff up in the seat. Looks kind cool when filling the tank because you can see through to everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I have a feeling that if Ford discontinued using the sheet metal covers it was a money saving factor. After all you couldn't see it from the outside.
It would also cut down the time installing it besides the saving on the sheet metal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

These aren't covers per se but are actually seat spring supports. Metal's replacing of wooden body parts was generally a positive thing during Model T's run, but not in this case. The wood makes a much better support and greatly increases the life of the seat cushions. The front one had a double function and also protected the gas tank top. The later metal supports were better than nothing but they bent easily, limiting their supporting effect. Mr. Kuehn is right about the cost cutting, but later Ford owners paid a price in that the lives of their seat cushions were greatly shortened. Unless you were a lightweight driver carrying only lightweight passengers consistently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

What is the thickness of the wood used? I haven't anything under my 25 roadster seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

So R.V. would you suggest putting a piece of wood under say a 24 touring front seat or Johns 25 roadster? These cars did not come with anything from the factory, correct? Another member told me he has a 23 touring and has nothing under the spring and the spring supports fine. He said its more of a hassle at the gas station having something under there

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration