OT - Do you find weird stuff in your shop?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Do you find weird stuff in your shop?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Tooth brushes for scrubbing or my upholstery spatula do have a place. But sometimes I wonder why I keep out of place or weird items around.

I haven't been Sherriff since I was 6 or 7 years old. Nor do I play golf or baseball.

OK, band aids and Brasso have their place but the Brasso cans are empty and the band aids are 30 years old. The backing has permanently bonded to the plastic and the wrapper crumbles to the touch. If I cut myself I go in the house, wash it out and have fresh band aids there. The last picture is drips from a paint can which had the rest of the metal removed and used for shims. I kind of like having it around.

I'll bet everyone has something around the shop that is a little odd. Here is a place to share it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Small round wood container? Blades for tire grooving tool which I dont even know what it looks like. Horse shoes. ZZ Top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

How about an oil/gas can that has a spout too big to fit in most fillers. Can is 22" tall and spout 2" diameter.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Yea, I thought so. So it's not just me.

Cool HCCA water bag.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Model t water pumps???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Rich, Band Aid cans are great for storing small parts. I've used one since I was a kid to store the top on my American Flyer revolving beacon--the tops are rather fragile, and are easily damaged or lost.
It's also a good place to store the oddball light bulb with a dent in the top for the beacon needle point to ride on (the beacon uses the heat from the bulb to make the top rotate).
That small round wood container looks very familiar, I think I have one too--but what came in it? I used to know!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:18 am:

The small round wood box. Fish Hooks came in these.
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:50 am:

fish hook box

Fish hook box, these used for making fly's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:53 am:

Doesn't everyone have a old weird stuff in there garage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Basically, I just can't FIND the stuff I want in mine! Time to clean and organize again. For all the good it does! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Thanks Todd. I always wondered what it was for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:17 am:

that small round wood box is a old sewing machine needle can.Or at least the 2 machines I have have those cans in the drawers full of needles .
I guess the weirdest thing in my shop would be a speaker from a drive in movie theater. Or the loggers pick that you move logs with.No,not the kanthook,this is a single pointed edge on sordaof a axe handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Maybe the Model T and its related "stuff" are the weirdest things in the space I'm using to work on it ?? It would be equally weird to refer to it as a "shop" - frankly, I never quite know WHAT to call it when folks ask "What's that building on your property ? "

This is a fun thread ! Keep 'em coming !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Mack, That loggers pick you refer to sounds like the tool we called a Pickaroon in my sawmill days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Mack and Dale, also known as a pickaroon in my experience the little box held sewing machine needles for mom's Singer. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I have lots of "weird stuff" Ive even been know to be "weird" so does that count. I just did a "pick three" Too many to chose from ..

Every one should have a rubber chicken

Or maybe an open can of "Popeye" spinach

This will be me in a few more years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

When I go into a antique store I have a hard time finding something that I don't already have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Very nice Donnie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Four different tubes cork, brass, wood and bakelite all with little treasures in them. Two with very small dies, the wood one has it's lid marked 8 with a circle around it and small letters I cannot make out. I think they may be needles for a old phonograph the fourth is a Bobbies whistle with a brass chain. Just the tip of the nonsense that I have around my place. And by the way those needle type thingies have been in my toolbox at work for at least the last 35 years before I retired they are great for digging out the little metal slivers you pick up in a machine shop. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

While I'm at it here is a stumper at least for me. I picked this up several years ago and still can't find it's purpose. It is only marked CORNWELL on the handle the little blade is screwed into the handle kinda like the old screwdriver in the hammer handle. Give it your best shot. I'm thinking medical or musical. Yes I know it's a model T wrench the other item is just for size. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:18 am:

Right now? The weirdest thing I find in my shop, is when I go in there, I find things on the floor that were NOT on the floor when I was in there a couple hours or days before. Some of the stuff, I don't know where it was before, but I do know it wasn't easy to get to. Labels off of cans, parts of model T coils, And I can't tell you what one item was. Let us just say it was well stashed behind a locker/cabinet, and related to some nasty stuff going on in my family right now? Cue up the twilight Zone music.
The shop is a top-of-the-line Sears metal building, extra high on a concrete foundation, well made, and fairly tight. It is large enough to park a fair size car inside, and have room to work (if I didn't have it so stuffed with stuff?), work benches, cabinets, a few power tools and welding. If some critter is getting in there? I don't know how. And why would they pull out about twenty different pieces of wood left over from when I was rebuilding a bunch of T coils a couple years ago, about one piece of wood per day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:39 am:

In case I need to lock something....a pair of ice tongs, or how about a nice blacksmith-made broad-axe. All things I might need while working away. Oh! in case I need to patch a tube (or two...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:43 am:

I find weird stuff all of the time. Usually, it's something I bought and forgot about. :-( That has it's perks though, it's kind of like Christmas all over again. :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

This Safe appeared out back about the same time Jay posted his Old Photo "The Back Office". I don't dare ask the neighbors what it is doing for fear they would give it to me. I just don't have the space. It is out of place but I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

We all do it. It's because it's easier to just lay something down and slowly walk away then it is to figure out where it should go, and worst of all: realize we don't need it and be forced to throw it away. Perish the thought..... just put it right here, in this little nook. Ahhhh, that's better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Richard,

"I haven't been Sherriff since I was 6 or 7 years old."

That's really funny. I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Layden: that big yellow oil can looks like what I used to top off the oil in construction equipment before they started work in the morning. Man that thing was heavy when you filled it up and hard to hold onto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Richard shouldn't there be a oily mess under the T. (like mine).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Not to worry, Daren. The T sat idling for only a few seconds while I snapped the picture. Only a drop or 2 escaped. It is comfortably dripping oil in it's usual resting place now.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Madison on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:09 am:

My security System

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

This was given to me because I was able to tell the owner what it was. Hanging in my shop for many years and no one has gotten it right yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

James, a chain lift step ladder. They can be very handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:09 am:

James, looks maybe to be a rope making machine or part of one. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Harbor that safe Richard. It was destined.
Matt, I want to see more of your yellow airplane and your guns. :-)
Like Wayne, I'm still looking for the weird in the shop other than myself.
I'll find it!
Wayne, that's just plain weird. You have a snake? Blech.
James. If that makes seven strand rope, I wanna see the other part of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Matt very cool, James maybe some kind of very old exercise machine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

All good guesses but not correct, however putting in a days work with it would be very exercising.
It was patented in 1901.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

So James if someone guesses it wright do you have keep the tradition going and have to give it to him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Dean, Ouch, that is harsh. I have grown rather fond of it. I'm sure with all the bright minds who frequent this forum there is someone who knows what it is.
I have actually used it for its intended purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

It looks, to me, to be some sort of a "lift pump" for thick liquids and would be set into a barrel. Very cool piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

i beleive it be a fence maker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

There's obviously another part to it, every sprocket turns in the opposite direction. The elongated holes in the sprockets look like they drive something

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Is it from an old loom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

It's he window regulator prototype for Model T closed cars. $:o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Find weird stuff in my shop ? Why, yes, I have been noticing something lately. Unfortunately, it's not some neat old mechanical device.

For the past few months I've been finding some kind of animal droppings on the floor in one specific spot, and even on top of taller items in that location.
At first I thought it was mice, but can't see anything that would attract mice to that specific location.

Then I looked UP. There is a small crevice in the floor structure of the loft, leading to a chamber of about 6" X 12" X 24". I think I've got a bat calling my shop his home. I've never actually seen him in the shop,
although I see them flying around outside just after sunset.

If I put a couple of mothballs in the area the droppings seem to stop for a few days, but the moth balls evaporate pretty rapidly and the droppings come back.

Any suggestions ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Left handed oven stretcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Pergande, Essexville MI on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Mice...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Moth balls and a bat? PLAY BALL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:48 am:

its a picket fence making machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 01:15 am:

Fred B. Is correct!

It puts the twists in the wire to hold the pickets in place. Not all sprockets would necessarily be used, depending on the height of the fence and spacing of the wire. After each picket was place the rotation would be reversed so that the spools of wire would not get all twisted up.
This is a poor example of what it can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 03:57 am:

Oh yeah, THAT thing is neat!

Bats are nice to have around. But droppings in my shop area? Not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Fred, do you have a place to put it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Dick, my son had a problem in his barn so he installed florescent lights in his hay mow. The bats started dying and falling to the floor. He figured they starved to death, never got dark enough to go looking for food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

When I first saw the photo I saw the two holes and I thought that's got to be for wires and of course it twists the wire. First I thought maybe it could be for making a twisted wire fence (although I guess it could be used for that also) and then I got to thinking that wouldn't be much good without barbs and I couldn't see how to put those on. And I have seen the twisted picket wire fence before and so I thought that has to be for wood staves, or saplings of some sort. Didn't mean to sound like a hill William (not that there is anything wrong with that) in that first post! I inadvertently left out the word 'to'.
Quiz was fun. Send prize to Robstown, TX. Everybody knows me. :D (toothy grin here)
I have a 'what is it'. I'll post later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

I guess you could call them pickets but that type of fencing is still made and it's referred to as a snow fence in these parts. Usually used to prevent drifts from happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I was somewhat surprised that no one commented on the photo in the lower right of the picture. That photo in my estimation also fits the criteria of this thread.
Fred I will see if the guy in the photo can deliver it to you.????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

James I thought you might have been giving us a hint like maybe it was some kind of beard trimmer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

James I was thinking it was to crank start a very tall T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

That type of fence is nice but doesn't keep weird things out of your yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Richard that fence works great. Keeps rusty treasures from drifting out of the yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

I hope that wooden snow fence is still being made. I haven't seen any for some time. The local farm store has offered rolls of orange plastic net as "snow fencing" the last couple of years. We built a chicken run from the "good stuff" in the '80s, and repurposed it to protect wind-break trees from the resident range maggots when we re-located the henhouse. Some of it's still on the job. Neat to see the machinery it was made on !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

They put up a lot of that fence at the beach by Lake Michigan here in Muskegon to catch some of the beach sand. The beach has to be leveled off every spring....As a side note, this is some of the same beach area Buster Keaton enjoyed in the summers here in the early days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Corn cribbing / snow fence. Used it for both on the farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 05:49 am:

The MO. DOT used to put up many miles of that snow fence back in the '50's-'70's here. Never did make much sense to me. The drifts just started after the fence did it's thing. They haven't used them here since the late '70's as I recall. Granted, we don't get the heavy snowfall like we did back then, but they stopped using them way before that. Gave the guys something to do though. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I have one of them snow fence makers and it takes a lot of time to set one of them up to make fence, and the longer the fence you make the harder it is to set up. Also MO Dot use to put a snow fence in are pasture, never could see the need for it at are place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Where I grew up in Pennsylvania the township, state, and county all used snow fence to reduce the amount of drifting on the roadways where open fields were. I used it on the farm to help keep the farm lane from drifting. In order to be effective the fence needs to be 30 to 50 feet away from the road to create an artificial snow drift. The state and townships stopped using it because of the cost involved in purchasing it, setting it up, taking it down, repairing it and storing it. They told me it was cheaper to pay a plow driver overtime to cut the drifts open when they happened. Many years they would go to the expense of setting it up and taking it down when the snow fall was light and no drifts happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Oh yes and to be on topic the only weird thing in my shop is my wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Animal Droppings. I use a ultrasonic pest device.
produces a very high frequency warbling sound rats and mice and other creatures don't like it, My cats just ignore it, But it works in keeping mice and rats and who know what other critters away, it will also keep Your wife out of your shop, people with good hearing usually don't like it, Doesn't bother Me My hearing is not what it once was, in the fifties when folks were starting to get TV sets I could tell who had one on our block by listing to the 15,750 KZ high voltage oscillator in their TV while walking by their house, those were the days, Home milk delivery,5am ? Vegetable peddlers in huckster's, door to door salesmen, and My favorite the ice cream wagon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration