Building a trailer hitch/bicycle carrier

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Building a trailer hitch/bicycle carrier
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

I am going to build a carrier for the back of my '21 Touring to haul my penny farthing bicycle. The bike has a 52 inch front wheel and a 16 inch rear wheel. I want to attach the carrier WITHOUT drilling or in any way modifying the car. I want to haul the bike without scratching it too. The hitches that I have seen pictures of clamp around the spring or the cross member. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Interesting Tommy, I just learned to mount and dismount my high wheeler yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Tommy:

I built a simple rack to carry my ordinary (1885 Rudge racing bicycle) on the rear of my 1947 MGTC. It was quite simple and easy to make. It was easy to use and even easier to mount on the car. Since the MG is fairly low to the ground it also was simple to load the bike onto the rack.

My computer is all apart now so I canít get you a photo of it, but it was quite simple... after selling both the car and the bike I still have the rack! It is quickly made from a Yakima bike rack tray and straps plus a handfull of hardware store bolts.

Ernie:

Congratulations on mounting... dismounting can be harder. I was glad for my helmet and elbow pads when I did a sider!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Tommy,

With this mounted to the car the ordinary is held firmly in place with the two ratchet straps. The top of the bike needs to be strapped to the back of the car. I suggest fabricating two lower arms to affix the tray to your spare tire carrier. Then strap the backbone to the top of the spare.

Donít worry about the bike blocking access to the spare, if you get a flat you can just use the bike!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

If you haven't already, check out www.thewheelmen.org for antique bicycles. I have done a century on a high wheel and a pneumatic safety. A pope Columbia Expert 54" and an 1898 rambler safety. I have built several rear high wheel carriers using angle iron to hold the wheels and a pipe vertical to tie the backbone/wheel to. They bolt to a regular trailer hitch in place of the ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

In my younger days I belonged to the Wheelmen, Rode them centurys Have 80 bikes if I didn't count one twice or miss some. Never liked to collect a lot of one thing I just want one of each.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration