Another what is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another what is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Found these in a box, the long item I believe is model a but the other item, no idea, Anyone? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

It may be a side mirror bracket. it clamps onto windshield and the mirror arm had a ball on the end that clamps in the bracket. Allows swivel adjustment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

or maybe a spotlight mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

The silver part Bob shows in these photos is the tie-rod portion of a "Safety Pilot" steering stabilizer from the 'teens-twenties. You can find the complete unit occasionally, which has cast-in lettering "Safety Pilot - $5.00". The missing larger piece bolts onto the front axle and has a ball fitting which goes into the fork on this piece. As you turn left or right, the ball transmits the movement to an internal coil spring which deflects with the movement. The spring seeks to always return the steering to center. The curved rod piece is not a part of this steering device.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Here is the rest of it I believe, found this in the other shed the other day, is this complete now?
Bob
oops, wrong photo!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Tim wins the prize, though I think it was intended to be a self-centering product rather than a stabilizer (small matter of semantics).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Bob That is some more of it, but there is a spring (or two springs ??)and a part with a ball on it that hooks to the first part you posted. The ball and spring/springs will fit inside the part that has the long slot. I think I have one of those some where. If I can find it Ill post some pics of it ... Keep on looking, you may have the rest of it ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Bob, I found my Safety Pilot today. You are missing 4 pieces. Here are a few pics.

The four parts you are missing.

Here is the complete unit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Very interesting. I would like to see pictures of one on a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

uh hum, norcal jay...knock knock...anybody home? time for a photo of the instructions with the new one in the box. you missed your que

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration