Wood plans? - '26 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wood plans? - '26 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Are there drawings available anywhere for the top and miscellaneous wood pieces for a 26/27 Tudor? I know the parts are available, but my son and I would rather make our own for a car that we are resurrecting. We have some of the pieces for patterns, but much is just missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:36 am:

-Charles-
Fordwood has drawings. Hope this link helps.

http://www.fordwood.com/ttudors.htm

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

thanks. I had found the Fordwood page earlier. I was really hoping someone had detailed drawings of the pieces, not just the assembled sketch.

We'll figure it out - It will just be a bit more of a challenge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:38 am:

Here are some pictures of a '26 Tudor top I replaced a couple of years ago. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:42 am:

I would suggest you use 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive on ALL the joints. It will allow the top wood to flex without ever breaking from road shock. The top absorbs a huge amount of shock and is the first thing to have damage and fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:48 am:

This picture is of a '26 Coupe top, its identical in design but shorter obviously. You can build the entire top wood out of rough cut Ash for about $100.oo or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Don, that last picture is a great “Story Board” that you put together. It gives a life size, total picture of what you are trying to construct with side notes as part of the Story. This is a really great way to bring all the components into prospective . You are a good Design Engineer. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Thanks! This is a huge help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Thanks Joe, you always have kind words. This is the cut view of the side rails Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Just a side note on the gap between the bottom of the cross-rib and the headliner shelf. This diagram says 3/16" gap but it should read 1/4" and you can get away with less. The gap is so the headliner can be tucked without showing after its installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Don, why do the outermost slats on the tudor end mid-between the bows? Looks like they are just hanging out in mid-air, wouldn't that show through the top material?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

David, that's is how Ford designed the top wood. Same on the Fordor and yes they do show on the finished top. I personally shave the front of that outer slat as much as possible but it can still show a bit when the top is covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Interesting, the slats weren't there when I got my '26 Tudor, so I didn't know. I wonder why Ford didn't carry to the next bow, sure looks like it could have gone there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Don is an excellent resource. Here's some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7gsavRpZM&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 02:50 am:

Marv, Unfortunately dial-up & Utube aren't compatible.aaaugh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 04:23 am:

Picture of the top wood from way back when...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 11:16 am:

-David-
The (Classtique Upholstery) video illustrates the installation of the headliner BEFORE installing the outside. Avoiding frustration.....

Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Marv,
As I understand it, install the headliner before fastening the wood to the body! Apparently that's what the "headliner shelf" is for, fastening the edges of the headliner. This would certainly make it easy to have a nice, taut headliner. It would also speed up assembly on the factory floor.
Don, that picture (on a fordor, I believe) shows the outside slats ending just after going over a bow, not as much sticking out to show up on the top material?????
Hmm, also doesn't show the headliner in place yet. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:13 am:

Dave, the slats I replaced was using the original design from the first and second '27 Fordor I restored 5 years ago. Before completed I planed the shortened slat down to about 3/16" thick and stretched the top material over it tight which brought the slat down and made a smooth curved top. The short slat still show but they aren't a eye sore..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration