Tips for a 1915 Coilbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tips for a 1915 Coilbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I am new to the 1915 model coilbox. I recently removed the old "Defender" lock-out aftermarket accessory and am headed back to stock. I am uploading a pic of my current switch front.

I am asking what is missing here, an iron plate and brass embossed cover and key? Or a combo of the both?

I welcome any insights here.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Looks like a standard '13/'17 switch. Did you have much trouble finding the "Defender"s secret removal trick?
Maybe all you need for this is is the cover (repros aren't exactly like the originals, but most people do not mind), three small screws (brass round head, I don't recall whether they are number 4 or 6?), and a key (repro usually works fine, but sometimes needs a minor adjustment with a small file).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Actually I found the trick to removing the Defender quite by accident the center disk right around the key just started to turn so I just kept turning and came right off.

Thank you for the help on the missing parts.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

You're very lucky to have a switch case that looks to be in great shape. A lot of them are too far gone to use.

Here's the reproduction cover with key. As Wayne says, not exactly like the original but most don't mind. Since this picture was taken I learned that if you have the key handle up instead of down you're a lot less likely to kick it when you step on the brake pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Depending on the time-frame for your '15, there was a change to a blued steel plate (cost reduction!) I don't have the books handy to check the time frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Nice looking plate- do the suppliers make those?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

A cord might be handy too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Really nice original switch plates show up on ebay frequently. Randall Anderson makes a perfect repro. The key should be brass plated, and has a round insert, and it is pinned. The back side of the switch should have a white rubber strip in the groove. You can take some stranded electrical wire with a white covering, and strip the wire out of it to work as a substitute, or buy a solid piece from McMaster Carr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Thanks for the tips, Larry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

James, not that I know of; that one is an original restored by my friend Lloyd. Notice it's a Brigg's production.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration