Need some clarity on a speedster build

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need some clarity on a speedster build
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Unidenscan on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:27 am:

I've been researching this for several days and have read a lot. There is one thing I'm still unclear on. My build is a 1916 speedster. I'm cheating with a later motor with a starter and genny, however I'm confused about body metal. I want to use 1911 torpedo fenders and short running boards. My body is a firewall with cowl setup. I really can't move firewall due to the cowl. Will in be OK with mounting the torpedo metal? Would I have to move the firewall with the rootleib speedster fenders?

I also wonder if using the torpedo metal on a speedster just makes it a torpedo?!?

Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:49 am:

The Torpedo has a 2 longer Hood compared to a normal T. On a speedster you can do just what you want, but best to ensure you can run in the speedster events by contacting organizers.
Personally I would move the firewall back, it makes it easier to get to the back of the cylinder head, it lowers the steering column and looks better. You may need to modify the splash aprons, but they are added weight so why bother with them :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:54 am:

A serious problem when adding a starter to a car with early firewall mounts is that two bolt heads touch. This makes installing the starter screws quite difficult. Of course it is solvable , but the best solution is to move the firewall back two inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:09 am:

When I moved the seat back a few inches on my old 19 Speedster I found that I needed to move the dashboard back as well leaving a space between the actual firewall and dashboard. After this picture was taken I added a sheet metal spacer to cover the gap, but I also had a spiffy old hood from an unknown car that would have fit it perfectly. I sold the car before I got to that but have the hood to the new owner. I also liked the look of the car without the sheet metal between the running boards and body ... so left it open. It seemed to look lighter that way.

Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Unidenscan on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:11 am:

So the firewall can move back, however the body stays in same position? Can I just move entire body back? Maybe not due to pedals and e-brake handle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration