OT - original Model K red color. Maybe the same color as the Model S Roadster and 1909 T touring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - original Model K red color. Maybe the same color as the Model S Roadster and 1909 T touring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Fawcett Motors is painting and refreshing our 1907 K Roadster. Under one tin panel (wrapped over wood), the original paint and pin stripe were revealed. This Roadster was restored prior to 1964, and we believe this is original paint and pin stripe. The second pic shows the tin that covered the wood (part of the rumble seat pedestal). The original red appears to be darker and the pin stripe is larger and single line compared with the old restoration piece with double pin stripes.

A few more pics as the car is stripped and taken apart for paining:

Hood panels:

Dust or belly pan:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Thanks Rob! Always enjoyable to see photos of your work on the K! Only way I would ever get to see work on such a great car! Thanks again! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

That red is pretty bright compared to the green and blue used on early Fords. I've read they were so dark as to look black unless they were in direct sunlight. I'd be interested to see an original sample from one of the gray cars. Are you going to match the original color on this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Here's a picture of Model T #1212, preserved in original paint in France:

gty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

More often than not, testing reveals most finishes that are "original paint" are not. If you want to know the presentation surface you're looking at is the real deal, send it off to a conservation lab and have it analyzed. Then you can get the composition and make an educated guess as to how the color appeared when new. Because of the breakdown of the organic components involved, how things appear today is not necessarily how it appeared then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Thanks guys. This is a pic taken of our 1907 K touring car (now in MIchigan). When I began refreshing it, I wasn't sure what color it began as, so decided on Royal Blue as that color is mentioned frequently in Model K articles. As it turned out, when the chassis was already painted, I found the original color hand painted behind the upholstery of the front seat back. It was red, number 36, and similar to the red found on the Roadster:

Our N (engine #2) had a similar number painted on the black primer of the seat when the original upholstery was removed, in maroon.

We will try to duplicate the color.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

This is an interesting find, Rob. We'll be watching for additional news as your restoration continues.

Thanks for posting it.

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration