Torpedo Top Iron Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Torpedo Top Iron Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:57 am:

I have this set of top irons that were stored with a tag that read "Torpedo". I was wondering if anybody could positively identify them as a torpedo or? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

The front iron is shorter than the others i have seen, usually ive seen them with the front iron like the ones shown here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

It doesn't look like the front socket is movable from A-to-B on the set you have. Are both front and rear sockets riveted at their respective pivots or does one of them have a removable pin? I also don't see the secondary (higher up) pivot necessary to perform that function riveted to the middle socket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Yes they are removable, with a cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

If you look at the bottom of the set on the left, it has the removable pin and the pieces between them are the receiving clips, they are just not attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

They pivots are not currently attached, they are shown in the center. They attach where the rivet heads are still on the Irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Okay, I can see it now. I should have zoomed in. If they are Torpedo, they would be 1912, not 1911. There are photos of them with the top down that would seem to indicate that's what you have, but you really need something against which to measure, particularly if they are reproductions as so many are "made to fit". They might also be Commercial Roadster in that configuration or Commercial Roadster and Torpedo may even bet the same in 1912 as they were more similar than different when compared to 1911.

The 1911 Torpedo's I have seen park the front iron about 6" above the main pivot whereas in 1912 they are like yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Ed, here's the measurements on mine that John Bournacis...sp made for me from the Ford prints for a '12.

Front 30" to center of hole
Middle 24" receiving clip for the front at 17"
Rear is 26"

Your picture looks correct maybe Not the Photo??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

The measurements are as follows

Front 20 to center of hole
Middle 23 Receiving clip for the front at 17
Rear 26

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Im leaning towards 1912 open runabout?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

The main mystery to me is the short front irons. They do not appear to be cut or purposefully shortened, and the holes from the bow nails are there as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Been wanting to chime in here. When I purchased my 1911 Open Runabout project it came with a pair of these top sockets pictured here. I will need a "torpedo" set for the Open Runabout but I have no idea if these are correct or not.
I have been meaning to go visit a friend that has a Torpedo and compare these sockets to the sockets on his Torpedo.
If i hook the tape measure on the oval hole end of the socket and measure down to the center of the hole or pin, These are the measurements I get.
Front socket 24"
Center socket about 22 1/4"
Back socket about 28 1/4"
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Here is the front socket measurement
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

My error
Rear socket is more like 26 3/4"
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Looking at orig photos of open Runabout's, my bows look correct.
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Ed, With your front shorter that would be more like an '11 not the '12 with the vertical windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Here is a top sockets for 1911 Open Runabout / Torpedo when folded down. Note how the front bow mounting location, when folded down, is not directly across from the rear bow pivot point as shown in Ed's pictures.
Todd

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration