Do I have the wrong fenders on my 26 touring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Do I have the wrong fenders on my 26 touring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

So I'm not sure if my car has the correct rear fenders on it. It's a 26 and I know that the rear fenders are different depending on the type of car (Touring, Coupe, Runabout, etc.) As I look at my fenders the bracket that holds the license plate seems like it's canted inboard.
Right fenderLeft Fender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

You have the correct style fenders. There are two styles for the 26-7 cars. One is the Coupe/Roadster, the other is the Touring/Sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

I think you have the right fenders but your bracket is in the wrong place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

So do you think that the previous owner drilled the bracket in the wrong place? I'll have to look under it to see if I see the original holes filled in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

I think there should be a reinforcement plate inside. It may have been removed and holes filled by a previous restorer. Your tail light is not in the correct spot on the fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

One thing I know. Your top saddle arms don't require grommets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about the fenders now. I'll look for the plate on the backside. Thanks for the info about the grommets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Robert, there are left and right handed tail light brackets, to enable fitting a pair of tail lights. Check how your bracket lines up on the right hand fender. If it sits properly and the license plate is square across the back, perhaps you need another bracket for the left fender.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I'll Check Allen. I got a new bracket from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:22 am:

The grommets are for us lazy people. :-) When the top is up, the saddle arms are removed and rubber plugs are installed in the holes. This keeps the water out of the body. Ford must have believed that if the top was up, inclement weather was on hand. Otherwise, the top is down and resting on the saddle arms. No grommets were supplied but plugs were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:25 am:

So the saddle arms come out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:44 am:

It was my understanding that if you bought a stripped down non-starter car it came with plugs in the top support holes to save money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Got it thanks Jeff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Jeff,

I think all tourings & roadsters came with those plugs, (yes, I could be very wrong here). I DO recall my dad saying that when he bought our 25' Touring, in 1940, that it still had the plugs in place, with the saddle arms/saddles still under the back seat, having never been installed.

Robert,

Yes, the saddle arms came come out. They're screwed in. You can unscrew them, provided time & rust has not locked them up tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Thanks all for the info. I looked at the under side of the fender. First it is all steel. Second I see no evidence that it had a bracket or other holes drilled in it. I think what happened is the guy who had the car before me drilled in the wrong place and maybe this is one of the "Basic" cars that didn't have a tail light??? The guy who was putting this car together got his car and parts in 1973 so I don't think that the fender is reproduction. I don't think they make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

This is factory location for tail lamp on the left rear fender of the Improved Car, '26-'27. You lamp seems to be in the correct place too.

Correct style fasteners

All open cars with slant windshield had the removable top prop irons, these were part of the supplies like tools provided. The openings came from the factory with rubber plugs installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I agree with Dan. Here is the position of my '26 coupe tail light and yours seems to be where it is supposed to be. Don't drill any holes! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Wow! Thanks guys! I guess mine is in the correct spot. Maybe it's bent inward. I'll have to put the new one on from Lang's and compare them. I would think the license plate part should be straight to the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 07:31 am:

I have two different '26 cars: Touring and Tudor. The fenders are correct, but the exact placement of the tail light bracket is slightly different on the fender. The placement in the general area is the same. The difference seems to be how close inboard (or outboard) the bracket in mounted. Jim's bracket is mounted inboard of either of mine's. I suspect this is just a slight production difference. The moving assembly line didn't make everything uniform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I would say the backing plate has much to do with the location left or right on a fender, since the backing plate has driled holes and fits into the shape of the fender.

The location height for the tail/brake light from the bottom edge of the fender could differ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

My problem is there is no evidence of backing plate. Just 3 holes in the fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Look for the plate in the suppliers catalogs.... same plate may be used on left and right sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Thanks Bob I thought it was welded in place and the bracket bolted to it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration