Best practice for setting up new 3.00:1 ring & pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best practice for setting up new 3.00:1 ring & pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:42 am:

When installing new 3.00:1 gears, the ring gear bolts make contact with the pinion gear. What's the best way to deal with them? OK to grind the ends of the bolts down to make them shorter?

Appreciate the feedback!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Koll on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Mike, I had to grind mine down to make the clearance needed. Put a nut on the bolt, then grind to length. When you remove the nut it will clear the burr raised by grinding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:17 am:

You can also grind the corner of each tooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I would think that you would move the pinion forward by adding shim gaskets and raise the ring gear by thicker thrust washer to maintain the same contact pattern. That is the job of the paper gaskets that can be used between the pinion bearing housing and rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:46 am:

You can grind the bolts. However if you need to shim the ring gear, the bolts might be too short.

What I see is a mis-alignment of the two gears. The teeth should mesh the full length of the teeth. The way you have it now, you will have wear on the part of the teeth which are in mesh and the part which is not in mesh will not be worn. Then if some time in the future, work is done on the rear end, and the mesh is corrected, you will at best have noisy gears and at worst possibility of chipping the corners of the pinion gear. Do NOT grind off corner of tooth. I agree with Mark. Adjust the gears. Harder, but better.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Adjust the gears ONLY TO OBTAIN PROPER MESH, and NOT to avoid clashing with the bolts. There is only one solution to a proper mesh. You do not have alternative alignments, dictated by the convenience of avoiding bolt interference. Grind the bolts down as needed to prevent the interference. All that being said, it does appear that the pinion may be too far "in". Usually, the ends of the gear teeth are fairly flush with each other.

Sorry. Not YELLING, just being emphatic. :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Your ring gear is a reproduction. Original, in the day, gears were drilled at the gear tooth, not between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Add one or two paper shims to the pinion housing so the pinion gear will not compromise the ring gear bolt ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Add one or two paper shims to the pinion housing so the pinion gear will not compromise the ring gear bolt ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

As Mark, Norm, and Jerry said, Ring and Pinion have to run even, "Always ", then slide the ring gear in to the pinion, for the correct clearance, not under .006, and not over .010.

It will probably be closer to .010, as the repro ring gears, are always warped.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

When ring gears having different numbers of teeth to the standard 40 tooth gear, it is not possible for all the mounting holes to co-incide with a gear tooth. Some bolts will need to be 'adjusted' to avoid clearance problems.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The photo I used above is just to help conceptualize the situation, but is not of the actual one we're working on. We will be using a Fun Projects adjustable pinion gear & spool kit once we get the side clearances set right with new bronze thrust washers, etc. I just wanted some words of wisdom as we get to work on this project to familiarize us with the best approach to the process. I didn't want to go grinding on the wrong thing!
Great input and always appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

I'm with Ed kind of but I thought within the last year or so Glen had reported that the pinions are being made again with the issue taken care of already with built in clearance for the bolts?
The teeth are ground back a bit at the mfgr's.
I'm probably losing it...
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration