Photos of don langs bonneville roadster please?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Photos of don langs bonneville roadster please?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

can't remember the name, but the story was the guy used to drive this 25ish roadster to the salt from LA all thru the 50's, and don now owns the car. there were photos here, but i have worn out google looking. anyone got it bookmarked? thanks, clayton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Some info here.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=68031

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Clayton, Is this the one you are talking about. ??? It is a roadster he bought in 2016 and had brought to Chickasha. I believe it was supposed to have ran the dry lakes at Murrock

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/625055.html?1458842652

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

That's a different car Donnie, but shares a lot of similarities to the Aldrich car.

Don owns both of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

thanks guys. the multy aldrich car is the one i had in mind, in the old motor link. i like the twisted strap steel front spring mount. simple and strong. happy motoring, clayton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Clayton

Contact Clayton Paddison. He has quite a bit of info on Multi's car. I will see if I can get him too post. But send him a DM and he will talk your ear off. Multi's Aldrich's car inspired Clayton to build his roadster.

Chris Becker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Here are some photos of the front strap you are talking about on Multi Aldrich's car. If you have more questions let me know. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Steve please could you take some detailed photos of his tow bar. I really love it and would like to copy it.

Thanks you guys for preserving this car.

Multi Aldrich has inspired us (Clayton's roadster, my '17 speedster, and my sons little '20's something roadster pickup) to build three similar cars and to drive them.

Thank you very much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

too cool ! thanks again, clayton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Here are some more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:06 am:

The over/under wishbone doesn't look homemade. Is it from some other kind of car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Kind of looks like Model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:11 am:

What's strange is that it is present in one picture and the other looks to be a stock wishbone. I would be interested in how the model A steering arms/linkage were adapted. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:52 am:

wishbone i believe is 32-34 ford that has been shortened. model A bones have a slight hump where the ball is, 32-34 are flat like the one shown. thanks again steve, clayton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Not sure bout the difference between A and B wishbones, but it certainly looks A/B to me too... Only I think upside down...? Doesn't the dogleg go toward the top of the axle clamp on an A/B?

As for the steering arms, they go right in. All you need is a rosebud to adjust the drag link arm up high enough to clear the axle. They also need to be "clocked" to the spindle. The stock A uses a machined shoulder to index the steering arm into a fixt position. There is no such shoulder on a T spindle, and if not properly secured the steering arms will rotate during service and result in a very temporary wheel alignment. Don't ask me how I know this ;). Probably should add that a dropped axle requires much less adjustment of the drag link arm than a standard T axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

yup, upside down wishbone. the tow bar is 32, they are the longest, and quite valuable today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Thanks for the extra photos Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Braddock - SW Kansas on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Steve, What steering box is used on this car? I like the idea of a better box and link system over the stock T if you are driving a bit faster than people drove in that era. I would love to hear from anyone else who has upgraded the steering. Photos would be great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Here are some more photos, The steering is out of an Essex according to some past interview with Roy. There have been a lot of different boxes adapted to Model Ts over the years though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Steve , why is the engine out of the car?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration