RIP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Sorry for a depressing subject but a recent near death experience got me thinking. How many on here are not members of a local club or have friends close by that post on here? Although I am not really a contributor, if I were to expire my wife nor any other family members would know to make it k own on here. Lenny Glenn in Vilas NC might, especially since I have 4 coils borrowed from him.My absence would no doubt go unnoticed, but not so with others on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

My God man, you have only posted 887 times in 14 months..... yes, we would miss your posts... no doubt your wife or other family members would know to post of your demise, if an so it should occur.

Curious as to your experience that brought you to post on this subject.

Stay healthy.

As a family member of ours has stated ..." I'm going to live as long as I can, so far , so good !! "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

No, I am not a member of a local club, but a Life Member in the MTFCA...... and my wife has the ability to properly contact those who need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Not a contributor? Who made your other 886 posts then Tommy? And as far as your missus not knowing about you posting here, I really doubt that. A few times I've told my wife I'm online looking at other women and she yells that I shouldn't lie; she knows I'm talking on the forum about cars.

Trust me, if you go missing, the forum will find you. Live long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

I lost some of my family and very close friends this year. That and considering my own health issues I realize my model T, model A, old motorcycles, RV and bank accounts are just things not lives. Lives, relationships are way more valuable than any ‘thing’.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

It would probably take weeks before the news of my passing will trickle onto here. And so what? At that point, I ain't a gonna care. It always amazes me when somebody gets mad and takes their ball and goes home from here. They always make some grand announcement of their intentions and then they go away for a couple of weeks before they realize the loss is greater to them than they thought and then they come back. I always said if I were to get mad and leave, I would just leave, and not make some big to-do out of it. Same goes for when I die. Assuming I have some prior notice, I seriously doubt I will burden anyone here with it. So if I turn up missing for weeks on end, yeah, I probably died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

If I kick the bucket,it will make some noise I hope enough that folks will hear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

By the way Lenny, let me know when would be a good day to bring your coils back. Thanks for the loan. I now have a set of good coils plus a couple of spares. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Hell, I sure ain't Mensa material but I'd sure as heck never say I'm so pissed that I'm gone for good. I KNOW I'd be lurkin' until someone posts one of those "Ran when I parked it but not now so I'm pullin' the head" posts and I'd have to duct tape my fingers together to stop me from repeatedly tossing in my 2 cent. Never say never. As to croaking I'll pull a Macarthur and just fade away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Folks come and go from Internet forum sites all the time for many reasons and no one keeps track. Our common interests here is the Model T but the day I pass on doubt many here will know. My family does not know the name of this site and my wife has never been on the Internet. Guess I feel stoic on the OP's point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Mack, like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00Kab17aeI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Michael,
I recently read, "Your time as an Aggie begins with a Howdy and ends with a 'Here' ......I'll answer for you on April 21....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

People approach this is many different ways. Similar to if an owner likes a certain color then it is up to them if they want to paint their car with it. As one person said, “Henry surely would have offered yellow if he knew how great it made the car look!”

I consider many of you on the forum as friends even though I have not met most of you. If my house burned down many of my normal friends that I see and talk with face to face would understand and offer an encouraging word. But if my old car burned up – most of them wouldn't have a clue on why I was so bummed out -- but I suspect many of you would. And when I’ve needed a place to process some hard things -- I’ve often come here to the forum. Times when I lost Dad and later when I lost my Mom. It may not have helped any of you, but it sure was an encouragement to me to read those notes. And if I were to ask any of my none-Ford friends would they please keep an eye out for body numbers -- I suspect they would secretly wonder if maybe they should distance themselves a little bit.

And while I wish that everyone I prayed for, got better or was spared the heart ache, I’m still blessed to have prayed for and to have known folks like RDR, Bruce, and others, even if from afar. And in a way – their influence still lives on as I try to incorporate what they shared with me when others ask questions about their T.

Ok – I admit -- I’m from the last century. For anyone that doubts that please take a look at the posting, “Do You Believe coils sing different songs? Mine do” at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html But that is OK – my favorite car is also from the last century. And I believe this forum is a real encouragement to many of us – and not just for the help it provides with the car.

Tommy and others – on a side note, one of these days I plan to write a short note for my wife to post when I depart for that big garage in the sky. And I hope my being here will have helped a few folks have it a little better than if I hadn’t passes this way. If the link still works, I’ll probably include the song “When I get where I’m going” ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHT-TF4KO4

Below is a picture of Noel E. Bullock as he raced up Pike’s Peak to win the 1922 hill climb. While I don’t think it is theologically correct – I still like to think of my Dad “climbing towards the sky.” And some day – by God’s Grace – it will be my turn to take that climb.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

P.S. This time of year can be really hard for some folks. If you need a listening ear -- feel free to drop me a note -- click on my name at the beginning of the post and my e-mail address is the third line down or send me a Private Message via the same link. You can even start out with a question about a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

George, Thanks for reminding me of a great tradition at Texas A&M. The annual Silver Taps ceremony is truly moving and awe inspiring! Class of 1976 Thank you....Will do the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Hal Davis said it best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Tommy, I understood what you are saying completely.
You may be a big pain in the butt but we'd notice your absence and miss it. I'm KIDDING about the pain in the butt part!

My son is a member here but only posts over on the facebook side if/when he posts.
If I kicked that bucket, he probably would let you folks know. No one else. Maybe one other fella.
Wife might be dancing a jig like when hitler invaded Poland. Yeehaw!!! :-/

Tommy has a good point guys.
If you left this Earth and started hanging around the angels and St. Peter to see if you get in, do you have someone that will let us know? Simple Q.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

An even better question is: What kind of a mess are you leaving your heirs? I know I've got a real mess--I don't even know where stuff is, or even what I own-I went looking for a brass piece that could be used to make a 1/2dia plug. I know I've got something somewhere, but I didn't find it this search--I did find 4 boxes of steam rated brass valves--I knew I had some, but egads, when did I get ALL these?? And WHERE did I put my "scrap pieces for machining"?
I t isn't fair to leave Linda all this mess, so how do I make a list or organize or maybe sell it all to "American Pickers?" I dunno, but it does worry me a bit. And I wasn't even in the Train Room--another big mess--some stuff that was valuable at one time, but the public moves on to other things. And then there's the 500+ piano rolls. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 01:45 am:

David, that rings a bell here. I told my little brother he's not allowed to die ahead of me because I don't want to clean out his house. But if I went today he would have an even bigger mess to deal with. I need to have an auction to clear out a lot of surplus stuff, then organize what's left just so I can find stuff until I check out and the big sale happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 02:29 am:

When I first read the title of this thread I thought "Oh NO! Who among us died NOW?!?!"

I felt relief to find that no one had passed.

After having a medical issue a few years ago and then hearing the doctors tell me things I Never expected to hear, I am much more aware of all of the um, stuff, er, clutter, ah, Valuable Antique Car Parts around here: parts and projects I will never get to, more spares than I will need for each vehicle, and etc and etc.

Reading David Dewey's post has me nodding in agreement. Sometimes I can't find things I know I have. In cleaning up some areas I find things which I have not seen in months and wondered where they were. Occasionally I have needed something for a current project and find that item on the shelf, a part I purchased at a swap meet 30 or more years ago. ("Oh, I should buy THAT, I might need it some day".)

I have begun to downsize by attending an area swap meet this year and last to start moving some of the larger items which are not easily shipped. Craigslist ads may help to "move on" more of the large or real heavy items. I should start posting ads here for the smaller items. My children have interest in a vehicle for each of them. From time to time I have interesting conversations with my kids regarding my "collection" and occasionally receive additional prodding from them to get rid of the excess. More than once my daughter has accused me of being a hoarder, I disagree with her.

I would hope that when my time comes, not too soon I hope, the news will appear here; being a Lifetime member of the MTFCA and a charter member of the Central New Hampshire Model T club I suspect the the word will leak out. Be well my friends, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 03:03 am:

Bill, just thought I'd let you know that someone in my family turned me into "American Pickers" I've had a phone call and an email from them, they want pics of my stuff, but I haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 03:24 am:

My oldest son tells me that he might choose to keep a few of my tools. He would pick out a few things he knows could sell for a few bucks, and sell them. Then call the local model T club and set up a mostly free-for-all-come-and-get-it for most of my stuff.
Okay by me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 05:33 am:

I always was the Iron Man, worked like a dog, strong as an ox. I retired 4 years ago, the following year had a serious heart issue. I enjoy the car stuff, but now I tend to look at you guys' posts as statements of friends. The cars have gone from a ''10'' to about a ''5''. Crazy but true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Tommy, are you there ???? Any comments on your post responses ?????????

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration