Troubleshooting cold starting: findings so far

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Troubleshooting cold starting: findings so far
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Doing some tuning and troubleshooting regarding cold starting trouble. I adjusted the Anderson timer. Pulled plug #1, put a steel rod in cylinder to check for TDC, rotated the crank just past 3 O'clock and 9 O'clock so it was at 3:30 and 9:30. Car started excellent like this but labored on the hills. Come to find that Simmons carb I put on needs some adjustment or a rebuild. Ran like a crazy speedster on the flats, trouble on the hills. Put the old Holley NH back on. I ran it some and it ran great, but the hard starting issues and poor spark adjustment while running have returned. Finally sourced the problem! The control arm for the timer has been bent so many times over untold years that it is now a "snake" and has a lot of looseness and slop. When closing up after driving the arm moves the timer back, but too advanced. Also takes 4 notches of pulling to properly advance it. New control arm has been ordered and should arrive today. Any tips and advice on how to ensure a nice tight fitting control arm? Where should I bend? Also, the little eye that connects the arm to the column shaft is an earlier style than 26' it has a bend in it. Someone drove the pin out and a cotter key holds it in but it's loose. I have the correct straight style connection, how should I go about pinning it? I'm thinking a brass pin, drive pin in, then tap ends with a hammer to mushroom them out to ensure no slipping out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

The only suggestion I can make is about the pin. DON'T use brass.......it will shear easily. I once pinned my shafts with ordinary finishing nails since that's all I had. If I were to do it now I'd get some drill rod of the right diameter, cut it to length and form a "head" on one end by heating and hammering. I'd then insert it and heat the other end and hammer that one too, forming a steel rivet that won't give trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I would drill and tap an 8-32 hole and put a machine screw in it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration