No more groaning pistons - thanks Chaffin's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No more groaning pistons - thanks Chaffin's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Ok, I finally get around to starting a rebuilt engine which has been a years-long project. After a few minutes it starts squalling so I shut the engine off. While it was still warm the pistons made a groaning sound when hand cranking at slow speed. The rods were cocked rearwards which pushed the piston skirts forward and so the general opinion here was that the rods were bent. I had them checked at a machine shop and sure enough, they were off. I contacted Chaffin's and explained the situation - the rods were purchased over two years ago but Dave got right back to me and let me know they had a new set of rods ready to send to me. After installing them I can see the pistons are free in their bores, the engine cranks more easily and there is no more groaning noise from the pistons.

My thanks go out to the team at Chaffin's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Yessss!
Good to hear Eric!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Really glad to hear you've put this problem to bed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Wow, you really solved a tough one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

With the engine work out of the way now it's time to attack the interior and then get this car out on the road again! I have to do it soon though because we've got a bunch of morons passing legislature which makes anyone driving an old car anywhere near Barcelona a sort of criminal. They say they're worried about air pollution so any cars approaching 17 years old will be banned from the streets on "selected" days. If I get caught in my 2003 Opel diesel the fine is 100 euros. Madness...

Oh, and Bob Coiro, your "early Christmas gift" is going to be a fantastic addition to this car. I will be able to see behind as clearly as on a modern car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

I wonder where those mis-aligned rods were originally made?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration