Installing new spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Installing new spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

I am restoring a 1921 touring sedan that needs all new spokes. I have read all the posts and you tube videos on how to it and use the spoke press. The on
Y thing not covered is when compressing the spokes when do you stop the compressing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I did mine in 2011. Here is the thread I wrote documenting my experience. Most questions are answered. I started out priming and painting each spoke completely and quickly learned that I should not have painted the tenons and angled joining surfaces, for in painting them, the thickness of the paint made it impossible to press them into place. After I scraped the paint from those surfaces, I was able to press them in place. The most important thing is to tighten just a little at a time and make adjustments as you go to straighten a twisting spoke, or pull up one that it deeper than the rest, or push down on one that is higher than the rest. After a time, adjustments will be impossible and if you find they are not going in straight or are going in at an angle (like mine. Se picture), you may need to start over. I think I had to start over 3 times, but with each time, I gained experience and finally got it right. In answer to your question, you will find that at one point, it will be very difficult, almost impossible to tighten the nut pressing the spokes in place, but then the spokes will, all of the sudden, pop into place and it will be easy to finish seating them. When seated, undo the nut and install the flange and tighten. You will know when you have tightened them enough. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/183733.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration