Old Photo - Widtsoe Utah Service Station/General Store

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Widtsoe Utah Service Station/General Store
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Widtsoe is currently A ghost town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 08:49 am:

'Nother neat pic Jay! Wow, it looks bitter cold there. Bet it isn't that warm in the store either! We forget how soft we have it nowadays. Would love to have that visible pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Looks like a 28 AA stakebed off to the left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 08:19 am:

The sign on the side is interesting: Bread Butter Lunch and I suppose the last word would be gas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:30 am:

G.R.:
my favorite is still the sign on the White Front Café / gas station in Chugwater ,Wy. ...sign read " Eat here and get gas" ...so much for truth in advertising ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Looks cold and windy - brrr! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:16 am:

The satellite view shows there are still a few buildings, but not that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:40 am:

At 7,605ft elevation, I imagine it could get a little chilly even down there in "Dixie". Interesting history on wiki of a short-lived community, c. 1908-36. Short version, settlement was prompted by successful dry-farming 1908-24, high point, Widtsoe's population was 1100 souls in 1920. Serious droughts beginning 1924 led to abandonment. By the time this picture was taken, Widtsoe was on the skids, 1930 population fell to 250. No doubt the result of global climate change. Fault definitely lying with the Emery County Merc., they never should have started selling gasoline !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Has anyone noticed the right porch/deck support post? How is this circular configuration connected to the deck? What is the purpose of the tall pipe with the ball atop and dangling wires? Notice how the tall pole near the left in photo is supported, it doesn't appear to touch the ground. It also has some wires dangling. If this is a primitive electric system it is little wonder that the town has been abandoned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Koehn on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

The circular thing on the porch corner is a pair of signs. The pole with ball on top is a flag pole. Wires hanging down from flag are flag hoist cable.The pole in front looks like it broke off and possibly digging in frozen ground prompted the quick fix we see. the long slender pole next to it is across the street and I still see wire strung there. That's my interpretation of it anyway. If only we could go back and visit these places. Appreciate these pics immensely.
Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Must have been the local Post Office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Mr. Mullin, I am sure it was the Post Office, ours (pictured) served all the needs, General Store, Post Office, Express Office. This was in Ashwood, Matagorda County, Texas, my Great Grandparents came there from Louisiana in the late 1800's and settled this area, only people within many miles. That is me to the right of the gas pump, rifle across my shoulder, and gasoline .14 a gallon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration