Is this some part for a early horn set up solid brass with plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this some part for a early horn set up solid brass with plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Finding more items out back, this looks very early to me looks to have clamps to go around steering column and very fine threads at both ends, solid brass under the plating, any ideas? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Horn bracket on early steering? Bulb on one end, horn or lead to horn on the other. Not Model T. Next guess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

I am thinking it looks like gas lighting piping from the turn of the century.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 02:50 am:

looks more industrial / architectural than automotive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

looks to have the same threads as the horn set up, solid brass under plating, to big for a gas valve I would think, and the two clamps look like they would fit around a round steering column?
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Warren has it correct. It's a horn tube that's meant to mount on a steering column. The right angle fitting at one end is for the horn bulb to attach, while the other end goes to a flexible tube and out to the horn. The horn bulb would then sit just under the steering wheel. Cool piece. (Not for a T)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:30 am:

We are trying to figure out what year and make auto
the original horn fittings fit so I know its for the horn, figure about 1906 or somewhere around there, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I have seen a couple of those on large cars from around 1913 through '17. I find it interesting that some large expensive cars continued to use a bulb horn well past the starter electric system becoming common. I am fairly certain that Pierce Arrow used a bulb horn (at least on some cars) as late as 1918. I know a few people that have them, and they have both a bulb horn and an electric horn. These are mounted on the side panel of the body, not the steering column, so your part would not be for one of those.
I know I have looked at a car (mid '10s) with a steering column mounted horn bulb, set at an angle from a tubing mounted that way. But I don't recall which of the hundreds of cars I have looked at it was?
Tubes like this are one reason why you can sometimes find horns with only a two foot flexible tubing. That is all that is needed to run from the bottom of the column off to the side for the horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Warren had it from the beginning, a horn tube for mounting on steering column.

This seems like the exact one:

The guy is the famous Mr. F. Porsh !

Auto is from 1903

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:33 am:

I also saw this photo and looks close but the one in the photo looks to be tapered and the one I have is straight, also the bulb would go on the 90 to keep it away from column,Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration